The problem: After installing a network of Eero WiFi devices (three eero Pro devices and one eero Beacon extender), my Sonos system stopped working reliably (would not connect, drop devices, etc.). I tried restarting, reinstalling units, etc., etc., without success.
The solution: Over the past two weeks, I have read a number of posts on this Sonos support site that helped me get the system working again today. Here is what I did and some comments on my system:
- Enabled "Bridge Mode" on our Xfinity Wireless Gateway device -- got instructions on how to do so on the Comcast website (need to log in from your internet browser and follow a few steps)
- Connected the eero Pro device that was indicated as the "gateway" (was the only device that my eero app showed as being the "gateway") with the Xfinity Wireless Gateway (Ethernet cord/connection)
- Plugged our Ethernet switch to the other Ethernet port (the one not used to connect to the Xfinity Wireless Gateway) in the "gateway" eero Pro
- Our other Eero Pros are connected to that same switch (or a second switch connected into the first switch)
- Some of our Sonos devices are connected via Ethernet to the second switch
- Other Sonos devices are connected to the eero WiFi network
- I am able to control the Sonos system from an iMac connected via Ethernet to one of the eero Pros (not the "gateway" Pro, but another one that is wired into the first switch)
- And, I am able to control the Sonos system from my iPhone using our eero WiFi network
- So, it appears that everything is working again (fingers crossed)
So, that's what worked for me. My impression is that the critical steps were:
- Enabling "Bridge Mode" on the Comcast/Xfinity modem
- Connecting the "gateway" eero device to the Comcast/Xfinity modem
- Then, connecting the switch, from which all other devices on our network stem from, to the other port on the "gateway" eero device
My thanks to all the other people who have posted to this support site. Your comments and ideas helped me figure out the solution above. My hope in posting this is that I can help others who have cable modems (like the Xfinity product) and eero WiFi. I'll check back in a couple times to see if others have questions that I can help answer. And, of course, my guess is that many others can edit and improve on what I've written above.
Thanks, again, to everyone who contributes to this site. I could not have gotten my system back up and working without all the help/support from this community.