• 2 replies

i have a restaurant - here’s my set up:

Six Samsung TVs

Six Beam G2

Comcast business modem/wifi 

one guest wifi

one private wifi

Sonos 2 app on ipad that has current OS and connected to private wifi

Need to use the sonos app for background music when the tv sound isn’t on, but the picture is - like on a soccer game

i have had no issue setting up the beams set up on wifi private on the first try, naming them, connecting back to tvs, grouping them.  however, going back onto the app - once it’s been closed  or ipad has gone to sleep, some or all cannot be found, the spotify app from sonos doesn’t see any or all etc. i have tried factory resetting all of them then connect the first one to ethernet in order to use sonosnet, except the sonos setup app won’t connect to set up that way. 

I have reset them all multiple times and they all get connected but don’t stay connected. So it must be my comcast modem with wifi built into it right? calling comcast didn’t help as they said they don’t help with this type of issue. i use the wifi pro app to manage the wifi passwords, but there are no settings for disabling the 5ghz which i suspect i need to do from reading the forums. i feel like i need to get a new external wifi router with 2.4ghz and use that for setup if the ethernet won’t work. am i on the right track or is there a way to configure the comcast modem the right way? not sure if anyone has any network configs that they could share?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 March 2024, 05:37

View original

2 replies

So there are two possibilities that come to mind when reading your post. The first is simple wifi interference going on. You have a fairly dense WiFi environment, complicated by a bunch of bags of water (humans) that absorb and complicate WiFi. SonosNet is just a different version of WiFi, equally subject to interference. 

The second is the potential for duplicate IP addresses in your router. I’d be asking Comcast (ugh!) or reading the router’s manual on how to set up reserved IP addresses for your Sonos speakers (this is not a static IP address for your router, don’t let them misunderstand). You can test this potential by powering down all Sonos devices, then rebooting your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot before plugging the power back in to your Sonos devices. If that does ‘fix’ the problem, though, it may be temporary, and you should absolutely do that reserved IP address setup in the router. Any router that gets in this ‘state’ once could do so again, and you’ll be back at square one at some point.

I’d encourage the continued SonosNet, but if at all possible, wire more than Beam back to the router. It may help with the interference aspect, especially with all the humans (hopefully) in your restaurant.

Sonos also has this service, I’d encourage you to look at it. 

Those of us here in the community can guess based on our knowledge base, but Sonos employees have access to hard data in diagnostics, and I suspect other tools if you become part of their Sonos Pro system. 

thank you! curious if anyone has used sonos pro? i called them and they suggested i work with best buy…because that’s where i bought the devices from.