Answered

Is there a commercial Sonos system?

• 19 November 2022
  • 6 replies

It appears that Sonos is really suited for home use. I have a bar and I use Sonos and Spotify but customers that have access to my Wifi also have access to my Sonos/Spotify. I have set my speakers to a separate Wifi on the same router and used to the Sonos App to access my Spotify music but even though people have no access to that password they can still get access to my speakers. Is there a professional solution for commercial use to block access for my customers?

icon

Best answer by buzz 20 November 2022, 21:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Are you offering your customers a “Guest” WiFi? This would allow them to have Internet access, but not be able to access any of your local devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Place the Sonos on a WiFi that your customers do not have access to. Depending on your router that may be possible using it but usually simpler to use a second router for the Sonos and the desired controller devices.

Hi. How have you created the separate WiFi ?

Most WiFi routers have a “Guest” WiFi option. This will usually appear, literally, as “Guest” to your customers, depending on the router and your preferences, this access point can have a password or not. Some routers allow renaming “Guest” to something else, perhaps your bar’s name. At this point in time, unless you cater to really old folk, customers are comfortable signing on to a Guest network.

You’ll need administrator access to your router in order to setup Guest. Depending on the router the administrator sign-in credentials are written on the bottom of the router. Usually, Guest setup requires only a couple clicks. If you have a formal IT person managing your network, this person can setup Guest in a few seconds.

Guest only allows its users to access the Internet, not your SONOS, accounting, or point of sale systems. A separate piece of hardware can accomplish the same, but is more complicated to setup and there’s another “box” to manage.

My router has two separate Wifi’s a normal (4G) and a “Plus” which is the fiber. I have the Sonos on the “Plus” (now) which no one has the pass to. It was originally on the normal 4G one. I have, in the Sonos App, deleted all previous servers except the Plus and have it hooked up to the Plus and run it through the Sonos App and close Spotify. However, if some customers have access to Spotify (which is where the playlists and music originates) they can take over the speaker via Spotify and kick me out and play their music… this is my problem. How can they (via Spotify) take over the speaker. AND I have the option turned off for people to Collaborate/Share the speaker as well! Nothing seems to stop them if they have the Spotify app. Even if I have everything turned off on both the app and Sonos.

How are customers connecting? Which SONOS speakers are you using? Could customers be using Bluetooth? Airplay 2?

Go to Settings → System → Network and make sure that the correct WiFi is defined.