Question

How do i add my Nas to music library on new app

Hi 

I have just updated to the new app. I have a Nas drive on my network i want to add to my sonos system. I cannot find a menu to allow me to add the details of the NAS drive to add the music library.

Help

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

That function is currently not available on the new app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

But somehow it was available in the previous version- what’s with this picture.. over a week and this has not been addressed yet. Let’s take not a nice feature but more like an actual functional feature and let remove it so we can piss the consumers off once again, and send them to shop for other services. Phenomenal!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

A month or so to wait, it seems:

I do not understand how you have taken this Feature from the Mibile App but you can use Music Library on a PC / MAC.

What is the logic? 

How many people walk around with a PC in Their Pocket waiting to stream music!!

As an Installer of Sonos Products you have left us a a very bad Position

Userlevel 3

I’ve tried to be patient since the launch of the streaming tool masquerading as an app.  There is obviously no plans by Sonos to support ‘power’ users and they just want to push everyone into the Apple/Spotify profile .  I’m done-  I’m a collector of my favorite bands music - and embarrassed to say how many hours I’ve put into my collecting, organizing, artwork and playlists of their concert recordings- but that’s my hobby and now have no way to manage how I have always done with Sonos- it’s a dealbreaker for me.  probably spent over $20K on Sonos hardware over the past 15+ years and now time to sell on ebay and find a new solution.  I was their biggest fan for a long time, but I’m sure they won’t shed a tear! Would love to hear any recommendations for alternative services that allow for some independence

I’ve tried to be patient since the launch of the streaming tool masquerading as an app.  There is obviously no plans by Sonos to support ‘power’ users and they just want to push everyone into the Apple/Spotify profile .  I’m done-  I’m a collector of my favorite bands music - and embarrassed to say how many hours I’ve put into my collecting, organizing, artwork and playlists of their concert recordings- but that’s my hobby and now have no way to manage how I have always done with Sonos- it’s a dealbreaker for me.  probably spent over $20K on Sonos hardware over the past 15+ years and now time to sell on ebay and find a new solution.  I was their biggest fan for a long time, but I’m sure they won’t shed a tear! Would love to hear any recommendations for alternative services that allow for some independence

You do know that the PC and Mac app still has full library management functions, right?

Userlevel 3

You do know that the PC and Mac app still has full library management functions, right?

Not sure that I do.  I’ve tried mapping my synology multiple times since the app and keep getting an error. Confirmed the path/user name/pasword.  Haven’t changed anything other than upgrading the app.  Is there a link of a discussion or anything you could send me?   Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Folks need to be careful with the local library functions built into the Windows and Mac Desktop apps, as they present two seemingly attractive options—My Music folder, Another folder or drive—that are no longer supported and will error out. The third option—Networked Device—works just fine. Explanation below ...

I deciphered the disconnect between Normal People who think Sophos is going to ‘fix’ music library sharing and You & Me who know better. Bear with me, I’m going to explain this step-by-step so others can follow along.

Six some odd years ago, Sonos implemented proprietary local music sharing (using http) in the Windows and Mac desktop clients. Credit where credit is due, they made this click-click simple and it required zero knowledge of file permissions, user accounts, or sharing protocol.

First Two Options = Sonos Local Library Sharing

Fast forward to May 2024: Sonos sends an email to some users advising that SMBv1 and http sharing will no longer be supported “in a few months.” Unfortunately, that email—and nearly all subsequent communication—failed to connect the dots for Normal People (who don’t know SMBv1 or http sharing from Adam) that this meant “the Sonos local music mechanism that we built into the Windows and Mac desktop clients.” Even more unfortunately, a “few months” turned out to be “oh, 10 days” and SMBv1/http sharing vanished with the arrival of the v16.2 firmware in mid-May.

Thus began the “Sonos took away my local music” poop-hiting-fan barrage here on the forums, including but not limited to “Error 913.” Silicon Valley At Its Finest: rather than popping up, “Hi there, your Sonos system no longer supports the file sharing we built into the Windows and Mac desktop clients, please click here for instructions on what to do now,” someone decided “Error 913” was all users needed to suss this out.

Here’s the thing that we “advanced users” missed: when Sonos said words to the effect of “local library music will be improved in mid-June,” what tons of Normal People heard was “Sonos is going to fix the local music built into the Windows and Mac desktop apps.” In a cruel failure, Sonos has never removed the local music wizard (first two choices in the screen shot above) from the desktop clients, leaving the APPEARANCE that it was temporarily broken rather than forever eliminated.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for this - I guess I need to eat a bit of crow as I now have my NAS Library showing up as ‘Music Library’ under ‘Your Sources’ which is a great first step

Are Sonos Playlists a thing of the past though?  That’s how I always listened to most of my music-  went through and created Sonos playlists from my library, but just tried to create a few and can’t find them via search or any other means.

The imported playlist folder looks to just have a bunch of jibberish files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Are Sonos Playlists a thing of the past though?  That’s how I always listened to most of my music-  went through and created Sonos playlists from my library, but just tried to create a few and can’t find them via search or any other means.

Hi @Molly0303, lots (!) of people report lots (!) of issues with Sonos Playlists in the new app. General consensus is playlists will get fixed, tho’ the timing of such is anyone’s guess.

The kinda-sorta silver lining: playlists are broken in the new app, but they work in the desktop apps and if you re-install the v16.1 Android app. Not suggesting those meet your needs, just that they’re options.

Userlevel 3

Hi @Molly0303, lots (!) of people report lots (!) of issues with Sonos Playlists in the new app. General consensus is playlists will get fixed, tho’ the timing of such is anyone’s guess.

The kinda-sorta silver lining: playlists are broken in the new app, but they work in the desktop apps and if you re-install the v16.1 Android app. Not suggesting those meet your needs, just that they’re options.

Thanks for the summation!  Much appreciated- I know this is all off-topic from the thread, there is just so much to try and sift through to get things working!  
thanks again - appreciate everyone’s willingness to help me out 

Badge

The new app version on the IOS is a disgrace. Instead of advancing we go back. No library playing option directly from the IPhone or NAS. Load of money spent in the system and for what outcome? To be able to play only radio? I wish I could be able to give back to Sonos my system and get my money back because obviously they are looking only for profit. By the way, even the option of being able to contact the support directly from the app did disappear…. So much for “care” for consumers. Shame on Sonos! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What do you mean “No library playing option directly from the IPhone or NAS”? Though some people report difficulty in getting this to work properly, the option should be there.

Badge

Sadly Sonos mention:

“Sonos app version 80.0

This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

As a temporary workaround, please use the Sonos app for macOS or Windows to manage and update your music library.”

And on my Setting, manage I have only the options which you see on my screenshot, no library