Skip to main content
Answered

Home Extension advice - New Set Up

• 29 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all, we are doing an extension on our home and remoddeling the ground floor, this gives me opportunity to orchestrate a decent Sonos set up.
I have a few questions, mainly around the Amp.

I am looking to use the Amp in the lounge, have this conneced to my vinyl player as well as 2x B&W bookshelf speakers. We are not big TV watchers, so not really letting that factor in the layout - but in the future i think even connecting the 2x Era 100s would suffice.

1. Is there much benefit to having the 2x Era 100s in there as well as the B&W speakers? Is it overkill for that space?
2. Can i use the Amp and vinyl player to have that music in the other rooms via the Era 300s as per the image. If so, can these speakers have the same music at different volumes?
3. Would a single 5 in the playroom and a single 5 in the kitchen diner suffice? Is 3x300 overkill? 
4. Can i still “zone” these speakers to all play seperate things. I.e Kitchen diner 300s playing Music A, the playroom 300 playing Music B and the lounge playing Music C?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi all, we are doing an extension on our home and remoddeling the ground floor, this gives me opportunity to orchestrate a decent Sonos set up.

I am looking to use the Amp in the lounge, have this conneced to my vinyl player as well as 2x B&W bookshelf speakers. We are not big TV watchers, so not really letting that factor in the layout - but in the future i think even connecting the 2x Era 100s would suffice.

1. Is there much benefit to having the 2x Era 100s in there as well as the B&W speakers? Is it overkill for that space?
2. Can i use the Amp and vinyl player to have that music in the other rooms via the Era 300s as per the image. If so, can these speakers have the same music at different volumes?
3. Would a single 5 in the playroom and a single 5 in the kitchen diner suffice? Is 3x300 overkill? 
4. Can i still “zone” these speakers to all play seperate things. I.e Kitchen diner 300s playing Music A, the playroom 300 playing Music B and the lounge playing Music C?

Cheers

1.  Only you can say if it is overkill.  Personally, I wouldn’t want the speakers in the rear messing with the stereo imaging of the speakers in the front.
  2. Yes and yes.
  3. For background music?  Personally, I’d use Era 100s.
  4. Yes, you can combine rooms any way you like to play the same or different sources to each.  Note: Some streaming services limit the number of simultaneous streams, thus limiting the number of rooms (or grouped rooms) you can play to (each room or group of rooms is a separate stream).

Cheers

1.  Only you can say if it is overkill.  Personally, I wouldn’t want the speakers in the rear messing with the stereo imaging of the speakers in the front.
  2. Yes and yes.
  3. For background music?  Personally, I’d use Era 100s.
  4. Yes, you can combine rooms any way you like to play the same or different sources to each.  Note: Some streaming services limit the number of simultaneous streams, thus limiting the number of rooms (or grouped rooms) you can play to (each room or group of rooms is a separate stream).

Great thanks very much for the comprehensive reply!
Yes the question RE: 5 vs 300 in the playroom + Kitchen/Diner is for background music i guess. Where would you place Era 100s in that situation?