Answered

Apple Music can play from NAS but S2 cannot play despite having the same playlists.

• 21 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 22 replies

Hi all,

I have my music library stored on a Synology NAS drive and it has been working without issue until recently - I may have made some changes to the S2 settings and screwed it up.

At any rate, I have all my playlists, etc with Apple Music and am able to play all of the music via Apple Music from the source files that are stored on the NAS.

In S2 I have all of the same playlists, etc. but for any and every song that I attempt to play S2 indicates that it cannot locate the file.

For Apple Music my preferences are pointed to /Macintosh HD/Users/username/Music/Music_NAS/Media.

For some reason on the S2 the Music Library is pointed to //Diskstation/Music. The location of the iTunes files are actually located in //Diskstation/Music/iTunes.

The file structure for iTunes (Music) makes me crazy. I want to say that I set up iTunes to point locally for the playlists but have the files stored on a NAS for performance (maybe this was a suggestion by Synology).

At any rate, any thoughts on how to get S2 to be able to play the music from the playlists that are already available?

Thanks for any help.

Ed

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 November 2023, 10:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @eyost 

Thanks for your post!

It’s no mean feat to go through every possibility of what could be going wrong here, and what the speaker logs say about it may be key, so I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - they’ll also be able to start a remote session on your computer and fix it for you, should that be needed. I recommend a phone call, rather than a chat.

However, if you can locate a "iTunes Music Library.xml" or "iTunes Library.xml" file on your Mac (in the iTunes folder tree) and copy it to your NAS, then re-index the Sonos Music Library, that might just fix it. Apple Music (the app that use to be called iTunes, not the streaming service) doesn’t make this file automatically anymore, however, so you may need to export it from within Apple Music.

I hope this helps.

Badge +3

Corry,

Thanks for the reply. On a whim I looked a bit further and it appears that any songs that have a file stored in Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music on the NAS will play within S2 but therefore won’t play within Apple Music. And any songs stored in /Volumes/Music/iTunes will play within Apple Music but not S2. 

I wish I had a grasp on the file structure of Apple Music/iTunes.

Ed

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @eyost 

I agree - iTunes folder structure gets messy, and I personally am not overly familiar with it.

You should be able to change the path for either of them, however. So, change Apple Music to look where Sonos looks, or change Sonos to look where Apple Music looks. It did seem to me that Apple Music is looking at your Mac’s drive, whereas Sonos is looking at your NAS drive.

I hope this helps.