Answered

Add new trusted wifi network while the existing one is still active

• 7 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Sonos S2 IoS Version 14.14

Arc + Sub + Play3 + Play3 + Move + Roam

I have added a google wifi mesh to my home network, to improve wifi coverage. It is a different wifi network to the primary router network.

I want to move my Sonos system to the new google wifi mesh, instead of the primary router wifi network, so I can use Sonos from IoS while I am connected to the google wifi mesh.

On iphone, I connect to the new google wifi, open Sonos app, and follow instructions to set up a new network.

All looks good, it recognizes my iphone is on a different wifi, asks if I want to continue setup, connects to the Arc...and then proceeds with a process of “re”connecting the Arc to the primary router’s network (again), not the one my iphone is connected to. We then go through all the other devices, connecting them to the primary router’s network, not the new google wifi (that my iphone is still connected to).

Been through this process 5 times now, restarting app, google wifi, etc., also tried a temporary wired connection from Arc to the google wifi box.

How am I supposed to do this? It seems like a bug, when my iphone is connected to my google wifi, I would expect Sonos app to push that one out, not the existing/old one.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 September 2022, 12:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @richlm 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend that you first ensure that your mesh system is in Bridge/Access Point mode, rather than acting as a router, as you definitely only want one router on your network (unless you really know what you’re doing). My understanding was that Google Mesh can be difficult about going into Bridge/AP mode, so you may end up needing to turn your main router into a modem by disabling it’s DHCP functions and it’s WiFi. Hopefully, things have improved since I last tried.

My thinking is that your Sonos devices might be initially connecting to Google, but can’t establish a connection to the app for some reason so it falls back to the previous WiFi. Having two devices as routers could conceivably produce these results.

If this is not the problem, however, you could try disabling the older WiFi broadcast for the time it takes to get Sonos onto Google mesh, and to remove the original credentials from your Sonos system.

It may, however, be better to connect one Sonos device permanently to the main Google node with an ethernet cable. This will put all your Sonos devices (excepting Roams and Moves) onto their own mesh system. If you go down this route, I recommend you keep your original WiFi, your Google WiFi, and SonosNet separate on the non-overlapping channels - 1, 6 & 11. Change your Sonos system’s wireless channel. As long as SonosNet exists, non-portable Sonos devices will ignore your WiFi.

If you still encounter issues, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

My understanding was that Google Mesh can be difficult about going into Bridge/AP mode

“Difficult” as in “it doesn’t”, assuming there’s a genuine mesh of more than one node.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6240987

Thanks Corry, and Ratty, for your reply. Need to find out how much control I can get over the main router as it is supplied by my telecom company, or whether I can use google as a router and still get TV over the same fiber connection (YouSee in Denmark).

I have a basic understanding of networking and Google advice against the setup I have, due to potential for  double NAT issues, and it sounds like that might be what I am experiencing. I would just like to keep the main wifi running for “all the other stuff” if I can.

So I will have to dig a bit deeper - good to have some input and I will report my solution if/when I get there.

In the meantime, if anyone has additional input, please post!

Sonos doesn’t care about double NAT.

You can connect everything to the Google mesh -- with Sonos wired or wireless -- and retain your ISP router for TV. 

Finally found time to dig deeper and find a solution.

Looked into setting the YouSee router (D6) into bridge mode, but apparently I would then loose YouSee TV.

So I tried just disabling the wifi, and that seemed to work, allowing Sonos components to connect to the Google mesh. The app wants to connect to all components in my system and update wifi connection on each, took ages, and repeatedly failed to update the 2 Play-3’s, but everything seems to be working anyway.

So the solution in my case was to disable the other wifi while connecting Sonos to the Google mesh, and then (optionally) re-enable it.

Good to know Sonos doesn’t care about double NAT.

Many thanks for your responses.