Answered

Zones not working in Group Mode

• 24 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Zones not working - See diagnostic 278805265.  A couple of the zones won't work when merged into a group (e.g. Lounge and Red Guest Room and office).  They work when I run them individually, but if they are merged into a group they don't work.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

• Matt
icon

Best answer by ratty 28 January 2021, 17:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Mattman928.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

I’ll be tempted to do a network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices, then rebooting the router. When the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices wait for 1-2 minutes, and test it again.

Base on the diagnostic report your speakers are connected to multiple wifi channels, they should be connected to only one channel.

If the first option didn't work.

Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

a. Auto channel must be set to Off

b. Choose best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)

c. Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz

d. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled

e. 802.11 band should be set to b/g/n

f. Airtime Fairness should be disabled

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Not sure what you mean “Connected to multiple” wifi channels?  The customer has a mesh network system from Comcast, is that what is happening?  Different devices are connected to different nodes in the mesh?  Or are they connecting to multiple wifi SSIDs?

If I were to power everything off and power up again do you see a device that would be best to power on first (i assume that means it would be the anchor to the network).

Thanks

• Matt
Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Mattman928.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Sorry for the confusion, multiple speakers are connected to different wifi channels,

The rule of thumb here is all Sonos speakers need to connect to the same wifi channel and that's (1,6,11)

If several Sonos speakers are connected to the overlapping channel they will surely get some issues.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thank you!  SO it sounds like I need to reboot the mesh network components?

Rebooting the WiFi mesh probably won’t help. The problem with these meshes (which make is it?) is that the user often has no control over the channels used.

Sonos units in groups (or stereo-pairs & Sub-bonds) want to communicate directly peer-to-peer. If they’re on different channels that can't happen. The intra-group traffic has to loop around, via the mesh backhaul, and latency can suffer leading to dropouts.

The best option is to wire a Sonos unit to the primary mesh node, thereby putting the system into SonosNet mode.