Answered

Will a Niles SI-2150 Amplifier Auto Sense a Sonos Connect

I have reviewed numerous posts on this subject, but have yet to find a definite answer. I've spoken to Niles and Sonos and neither can say if it will. I currently have several Sonos Components. I have Definitive Technology AW6500s on my patio and Definitive Technology DI8Rs in the kitchen. Both pairs are powered by separate Connect Amps, and sound great. I have a pair of Niles RS6SI rock speakers on another Connect Amp. The Niles rocks sound great, but seem power starved at louder levels. I have these by my pool connected with 100-125' of 12Awg.

I have been offered a pair of Niles RS8SI rock speakers, and I know these will require more power. So, to do this I just ordered a Sonos Connect and a Niles SI-2150 amplifier. With the Sonos Connect connected to the Niles amp with RCA, will the Sonos Connect activate the Niles amp's audio sensing? I've read a few posts saying it will, and some saying it won't. My components are in a closet and I don't want to have to power the amp on/off manually.

TIA
icon

Best answer by Chris 18 June 2018, 17:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't see why the music sense setting wouldn't auto-trigger it on. I had seen where people had trouble though but never saw anyone update. I know ratty had recommended one person use the digital output with an digital/analog converter to see if that then stopped any incoming signal to the trigger.
I'll try it without, and see if it works. If not, I'll try the converter. I think I already have one I bought several years ago to use with my soundbar, but ended up not needing it.
Update, I installed the Niles SI-2150 yesterday afternoon with the connect. Audio sensing works very well. Slight delay when starting to play music, and shuts off about 2 minutes after pausing music in the sonos app.

Night and day difference between this new set-up, SI-2150 and two Niles RS8SI rock speakers, vs the old, Sonos Connect amp and two Niles RS6SI rock speakers.
Is that down to the change in amp or change in speakers?
Is that down to the change in amp or change in speakers?

Both. I knew the RS6SI speakers were struggling for power with the Connect Amp. I connected the RS8SI speakers first, with the Connect Amp, and they were barely audible with the volume slide at half, and not loud at all at full volume. I connected the Niles Amp and Connect, and its awesome. I have the levels at around 60% on the Amp, and the volume slide at half provides slightly louder than background music. 80% on the Sonos volume slide is pretty loud. The speakers are an improvement too, but I’m not bashing the RS6s, since they are great speakers.
I looked at the spec; it does 150 wpc into 8 and 270 wpc into 4 ohms, so that is a lot more power than the 55/110 for the Connect Amp, so I can understand the amp also being the reason. Although it is important to note that the Connect Amp is not typical of stereo amps in how its volume control is built. It is very linear - 50% on the volume slider is 50% power and it can run at 100% of the volume slider without distortion.

But the Niles looks impressive; except for a largish footprint, it is very similar to a Quad 909 in power delivery. What does it sell for?
@Kumar, it looks to be around $550 in the US. It looks like they have two cheaper models, but it looks like you get a power drop.

@jmurphy, Thanks for posting your results. I have a similar issue for my backyard. Not so much a power concern but I want to have 2 sources (sonos audio and tv) and I want autosense to switch between the two. It looks like this or the other Niles products will do the trick.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nice to know of alternative that works well now.
For me, the footprint wasnt an issue. I have an AV rack with my other Sonos components, WiFi and switch, so I mounted it in there with nothing above it and 4” below it. With price, I bought it for $417/Crutchfield open box. Not a scratch on it with full warranty. The 100 WPC Niles 2100 was $490 open box, so I bought the 2150. Now it shows open box $470.

@melvimbe - I have a Sonos Amp on my Definitive Technology patio speakers. I have RCA from the TV audio out to line in on the amp. So, I can play the tv through the patio speakers, or any other Sonos zone selecting the line in.

@melvimbe - I have a Sonos Amp on my Definitive Technology patio speakers. I have RCA from the TV audio out to line in on the amp. So, I can play the tv through the patio speakers, or any other Sonos zone selecting the line in.

Yes, this is how I have it setup, but I'm not terribly happy with it. My speakers are not near where the tv is usually placed. Therefore it helps to have the tv speakers on as well, which means I get an echo effect. Even then, the tv I use is actually on a rolling cart, that normally operates as a second gaming tv in the gameroom....tv speakers on. I don't want to have to swtich the tv speakers on and off every time I move it. Just plug it in and go.

Last reason is that I also have it wired so I can play the family room tv and the outdoor/gameroom tv in sync by hdmi. When the door is open to the outside, you're going to hear an echo effect.

So yes, I'm thinking about getting the Niles just to eliminate some minor issues. But like you, I wouldn't mind a little more power in the backyard. And I can may be add a third pair of speakers back there. I already have a spare Connect, and I can re-purpose the connect:amp to the garage.
And I can may be add a third pair of speakers back there. I already have a spare Connect, and I can re-purpose the connect:amp to the garage.

I have the two Niles rocks playing 2 speaker stereo mode 15’ or so apart down the long side of my pool. I was just sitting by the pool, and said to my wife, “we may need 1 or 2 more on the other side. I’m thinking of trying just one more on the other long side, but playing it in single speaker stereo mode. I just don’t know how it would sound with 2 on one side and 1 on the other.
I bought it for $417/Crutchfield open box. Not a scratch on it with full warranty.
That is remarkable bang for the buck; the only remaining question would be reliability/service life, but it also need not be as long as what a costlier amp of the same spec would be expected to deliver, one could just buy another one if this one serves for 8-10 years.