Whole House Audio: Connect4 & Sonos

• 20 September 2017
  • 5 replies

I recently bought a home that has a Connect4 System installed for whole house audio. It has an 8x8 matrix amp with audio sources being: my local NAS MP3 Library, Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, and Sonos Connect. There are currently 8 zones in my home that have in-ceiling speakers that are wired back to my A/V closet with the Control4 matrix amp.

I have outfitted my home with SmartThings (rather than Control4) for home automation (because I prefer open systems rather than closed systems.)

The net effect now is that I have 2 systems: Connect4 for audio, and SmartThings for home automation.

I believe Sonos integrates into Sono, and Control4 does not. That being the case, I am wondering if it would be possible (or feasible) to replicate the "whole house audio" system that I am currently enjoying with my Control4 system, into a Sonos solution. I don't know enough about Sonos, if it is able to do multiple sources and multiple zones and matrix switching.

Thanks for any words of advice or suggestions...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I don't know what 'matrix' switching is, but I think you would be able to convert this over to Sonos completely. You would need a Connect:amp for each zone, so it's not going to be cheap. You could possible combine some of your zones if it makes sense, say have the kitchen and dining room be one zone. Each zone could play all the music sources you listed separately or grouped with other zones, and at different volumes of course. I also know that Smartthings has some limited control over Sonos so you can do some integrations there.

I don't know too much about Control 4, other than it's rather expensive. I would bet you could probably sell off that equipment to offset the cost of switching over to Sonos completely.
Matrix switching = a single box / amp that has 8 INPUTS (audio sources) + 8 OUTPUT (zones/rooms/sets of speakers); rather than having individual amps for each zone/room/set of speakers.

So right now, with Control4, I can tell it to:
1 - Play PANDORA (Source #1) in the kitchen (zone #3) and in the dining room (zone #7); and at the same time play Internet Radio (Source #4) in the Office (zone #5)

- OR -

2 - Play a playlist from my NAS MP3 Library on ALL zones in the house.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So, you can go a couple of ways ... first, if you feel that Sonos is, "Open," enough for you, you can just use 8 Connect:Amps, one to drive each zone. It's not true matrix switching, but for pure music it's close enough for this work. Aside, Sonos really isn't an open system, it's just end user serviceable - not a bad thing, just an observation.

Second, and probably better if you like actual smart control, would be to use a pair of Niles MRC-6430's. It's a bit less expensive overall (albeit, not much), and you can keep true matrix switching while having 8 amplified zones - plus it can use one or more Sonos Connect as a source and fully control it, and has its own built-in streaming device as well (based on LMS) to handle pure streaming. Oh, and you can integrate control of an AVR into it as well, with a WiFi remote control, and then both the WiFi remote as well as apps, keypads and touchscreens, each of which can have as much or as little zone control as you tell them to. It can also integrate into some lighting and climate systems (though SmartThings is too closed for it to integrate to). Their documentation is extensive, I suggest you take a peak at it.
DaveBlackwell,

Each SONOS "CONNECT" (no amplifier) or "CONNECT:AMP" (includes amplifier) is an independent agent. Each can play any source or be part of a "Group" of players (multiple Groups are OK). Since SONOS has direct access to numerous online services, you probably will not need any external boxes, such as an XM tuner. There is also a "Line-In" source available on each of these SONOS units. One would use Line-In to connect legacy analog audio devices, such as a Turntable preamp, cassette deck, VCR, etc. A Line-In can play in any combination of rooms. Note that online services may have limits with respect to the number of simultaneous streams that will be supported. This would apply, for example, if you wanted to have different Pandora music playing in each room. Grouped SONOS players share the same stream.

Control4 is locked to professional installation. SONOS will accept (undocumented) commands from 3rd parties, and there is no guarantee to the DIY that the command structure will remain fixed in the future. One interesting approach is for a 3rd party iPad/iPhone control program to directly call the SONOS control program. The result is an interface that most users will accept as being seamless. A middle ground would be keypads that support basic commands, such as volume and play/pause.
I think your answer really depends on what you want to do with your audio. Your control 4 system works, and you could replace it with sonos. Sonos isn't open in the sense that you could buy a different brand of wifi speaker and use it in your sonos system. But it as Buzz stated in that it will work well with others.

I don't have much interest in it myself, but I've heard of people using smartthings, an occupancy sensor, and sonos speaker to have the speaker accounce 'hello' when you enter the room. That sort of thing. It's a DIY sort of project, and if that's what you want, it may be the way to go.

It may make more sense, if you're inclined, to just follow these forums, and smartthings forum to see the different ways the products are used, and what potential features are on the horizon.