Question

what happens with crossover frequencies in zones grouped with zones with a sub?

• 18 February 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I did not find this specific question anywhere, so here I co

My ground floor setup, in rooms in an old house that are linked via multiple arches, hence I need speakers everywhere.
seating area: 2 play:5 gen2 in stereo setup (so 1 zone/room)
kitchen area: 1 play:5 (in its own zone/room)
children play area: 1 play:1 (in its own zone/room)

If I buy a sub, I will become part of the seating area zone/room.

So now the question: If I group all zones to play music throughout all areas, will the play:5 in my kitchen and the play:1 in the play area adapt (w.r.t. crossover frequency) to the sub then being part of the same group?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
HI brdsutte

Welcome to the Sonos community

I am not sure I understand the questions?

With Sonos you can different music on each speakers or bring them all together and play the entire house with one song and it will all be in sync.
No, it will not; the crossover will remain as when the 5 pair + Sub are playing alone as one zone. Why is that an issue for you?
The answer is no. Every zone will play exactly the same whether or not grouped. Specifically, the crossover will be managed on the zone with the Sub only. Which I think is what one would expect and want, when speakers are in different physical rooms.
No, it will not; the crossover will remain as when the 5 pair + Sub are playing alone as one zone. Why is that an issue for you?I don't think the OP has said it was a problem. Maybe he just wants reassurance that this is how it would work?
No, it will not; the crossover will remain as when the 5 pair + Sub are playing alone as one zone. Why is that an issue for you?

The major problem (I assume, but I am not sure) is that as my virtual zones are physically one zone with respect to the low frequencies (which are not hindered by the arches), the bass from the SUB and that from the extra play:5 (and less the play:1) will interfere badly.

The minor issue is that since the extra play:5 in the kitchen does not need to produce lower frequencies anymore given the SUB's presence, it could become better at producing the other frequencies by also adapting to the presence of the SUB.

Does that clarify the issue?

An alternative setup that might solve it for me, would be to switch the extra play:5 in the kitchen zone with a play:1 I have on another floor. I guess the potential interference and cross-over problems would then mostly disappear in any case.
In practice, how do things sound? Any audible bass bloat? If so, there are two things to do - first Trueplay every unit. And second, dial down the bass on the 5 in the Eq if you still think it is too much energy, but I think Trueplay should be enough.

The one advantage I see of exchanging the 5 for the 1 is to give the other floor the benefit of the 5, since the open area downstairs is largely anchored for bass by the Sub.