Answered

Was I hacked?

• 9 October 2018
  • 4 replies

I received a phishing email after I started using Radio by TuneIn through the Sonos app. It stated I had a trial for 1 week and then I would be charged $34.99 per month. When I clicked on the review/Cancel link, it asked me to log into my Apple ID. Then it stated I had to Unlock my account, and then enter all kinds of information from SSN to driver license, mother's maiden name, you name it. Has anyone else experienced this? I reported this to Apple. But I feel this is a Sonos problem.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 21:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Argo0820, this definitely sounds fishy and I wouldn't recommend following the links in there. You can find some good details here about what legitimate emails from Apple App store look like: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201679.

The Sonos TuneIn Radio integration doesn't use any email or login details, as we don't have access to TuneIn Premium. It looks like this is an old scam that has come up from time to time. See here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6867976 It's not Sonos related, just a phishing email to get you to fill in information.

If you think you've been charged for something, check your bank or credit card using their official websites to see if there's a charge that matches the "receipt". Most likely, there's no charge for this as you don't have a subscription.
Thanks Ryan. I appreciate the response
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And TuneIn definitely doesn't charge $34.99/mo for Premium... it's only $9.99/mo last I knew.

And if you really entered your Apple ID and password into their site, I would recommend changing your Apple ID password immediately.
I receive "invoices" from all over -- from companies that I don't recognize -- and I always know exactly what I have ordered. Lately, I've received some blackmail threats about video's extracted from my computer's camera (that doesn't exist). I was ordered to send bitcoins to a certain account.

If I have a little free time I'll go after these guys by reporting the activity to the email server that they used, reporting them to the FTC or FBI. At one point I annoyed one of them to the point that they put me on a "list". I received a few thousand emails that week.

Just ignore this nonsense. In many cases the originator is also a victim. They've been convinced that they can make lots of money after purchasing a list and following a formula. I'll receive several similarly worded emails (from different senders) within a short period.