Question

Using "Works with Sonos" Onkyo receiver TX-NR696 with Sonos Port and Boost

• 1 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Just purchased a new Onkyo TX-NR696 receiver specifically for compatibility with Sonos. Reading the owner’s manual before attempting installation, I came across the following:

“Displays the Sonos Connect connected to the same network as the network of this unit. Press the ENTER button to select the connected Sonos Connect.”

I assume this is an older instruction that applies to Port installation as well as Connect. My question has to do with “connected to the same network as the network of this unit”.

Because of connectivity problems (speakers disconnecting) on an earlier S1 system, I purchased a Boost. I assume Port should be connected to the dedicated Sonos Boost network when I set it up, correct? If so, what about the Onkyo? I assume it will not and will be on the normal home network. If so, does that mean I will need to connect Port to the home network as well for them to work? Or does Port only connect to the home network as I found is true for Sonos Move speakers? And if that is true, am I likely to have speaker dropout issues as I did with the S1 system (until I connected everything in a dedicated Sonos network.)

Bottom line, I want to do all necessary to not deal with speaker drop out due to network connectivity issues.   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Waugust, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you out on this.

Sonos system can be configured in either a wireless or wired setup, with the Sonos Boost wired to your router, it will create a Sonos network. Your Onkyo TX-NR696 receiver is connected to your Sonos Port via wired cables. Sonos Port will be connected to the home network. The Sonos Port should be connected to the same network as the rest of your Sonos products for it to work. The Sonos Move can’t connect to the dedicated Sonos network and will remain connected to your WiFi network in a wired setup. It needs to be in the range of your Wi-Fi network even if it’s placed near another Sonos product. The Move can connect to your router’s Wi-Fi network but not the separate wireless network created by a wired Sonos product.

Hope this helps. You can run a diagnostic report for us to check your Sonos system. Just include the confirmation number in your response. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.