Skip to main content
Question

Using Sonos with NETGEAR Tri-Band AX5400 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (RBK763S)

• 13 June 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi there,

I’ve ordered a Netgear Tri-Band AX5400 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (RBK763S).  I’ve been wanting to improve wifi coverage for sometime and there was a good sale. I’m also using Starlink (original round dish and router).  Plan is to replace the Starlink router with the Netgear. I currently haven’t experienced any of the difficulties others have with recent Sonos updates. Everything has worked fine for me. Given the recent issues though, anyone using a similar setup?  Any issues?  Appreciate any feedback 

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Just to add.  Besides removing the Starlink router from the equation I was also planning on giving the new orbi network the same SSID and password as the old Starlink network. If I’m reading comments correctly, sounds like some are saying that works?

I’d think so. That way (assuming the bands/encryption are the same), the Sonos has no idea that there has been a change, only that a WiFi signal has gone away, and then come back. 

To be honest, my friend who had a StarLink system has dumped it for a T-Mobile 5G WiFi system. But that had nothing to do with Sonos connection issues to StarLink, and more about every 2 or 3 minutes a ten second disconnect on video calls. He got extremely frustrated with StarLink. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Ok I hope you’re right…that would make things much easier. Starlink has worked pretty well for us out in the country. Haven’t experienced disconnects like that thankfully. We don’t have a lot of other options unfortunately. Thanks for the response!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Northfarm, you’re going to love the Orbi system! By all mean, setup the Orbi with the exact same SSID and password as your existing Wi-Fi. Not only easier for your Sonos gear, easier for all the devices in your house.

I am reasonably certain that you’ll need to configure your Starlink router to use bypass mode …

https://www.starlinkhardware.com/how-to-bypass-the-starlink-router/

… otherwise you’d have a “double NAT” setup, and Sonos does not like that.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yeah. It should give us great coverage!  I don’t think the router powers the dish in the first generation Starlink. So I think I can just replace it with the Orbi. There is a separate power supply. After reading some other comments, I was getting worried that this wasn’t going to work.  Appreciate your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

In case anyone has a similar question at some point. Set up the Orbi Mesh, replaced Starlink router, used same SSID and password as old network. I have 6 Sonos zones (10 devices total…speakers and amps). Everything connected seamlessly and is working 🤞. All good for now!