Answered

Using Sonos Port as headphone source in same room as Sonos Arc surround setup

• 15 April 2021
  • 3 replies

I currently have a Sonos Arc, Sub and two Play:1's set up for 5.1 surround.

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sonos Port, which I'll pair with a headphone amp to essentially create a Sonos integrated headphone socket in the same physical room as the Arc for late-night listening.

My question is, if I was to use the Port in this manner, would the 5.1 signal going to the Arc (a movie, for example) get downmixed to stereo before reaching my headphone amp when I'm listening using the Port, or would I only receive the true L and R surround channels (no centre/dialogue channel)?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 15 April 2021, 22:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Whether the Port is placed in the same physical room or a different room in your house, it will be considered a second room in the house app.  To get the TV audio playing through your Port, you would group the two rooms, and the Port will then play a stereo version of the audio (not rear surround audio).

However, the audio you hear through the Port, and thus your headphones, will be slightly behind the audio playing on the Arc, and not match the video on the TV.  This is a buffer in order to accommodate multiroom audio.  For music streaming sources, everything will be in perfect sync.

I would check to see if your TV has a bluetooth audio output option.  This might be a better solution, although I’ve heard that HDMI-ARC connection interferes with that.  Also, rumor is that Sonos is going to have their own headphones come out later this year, and maybe they will be exactly what you need.  No one knows for sure at this point.

However, the audio you hear through the Port, and thus your headphones, will be slightly behind the audio playing on the Arc, and not match the video on the TV.  This is a buffer in order to accommodate multiroom audio.  For music streaming sources, everything will be in perfect sync.

This is what I was afraid of :( 

I've been following the rumours of the Sonos Headphones. These are (hopefully) going to be precisely what I need! I think until then I'm just going to have to make do with a wired connection. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You may end up with a delay if you use the Port.