Answered

using same speakers for stereo music and home theater

• 23 December 2023
  • 4 replies

I just moved so I’m reconfiguring my system. I have a Playbar I used for TV and a Play5 and a sub for music. What I would like to do is buy a second Play5. I would have the Play5s on each side of the TV grouped with the Playbar and sub for theater, and have a second group, minus the Playbar for music. Can I do that? Everything I’ve read is either very confusing or a no! Thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 23 December 2023, 06:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The simple answer is no.

You can group the pair of Play:5s with the Playbar, but you will likely experience a slight audio delay from the Play:5s when playing TV. Streaming music will be in sync though.

Also, a Sub can only be bonded to either the Playbar or the pair of Play:5s, not both at the same time.

Thanks for the response. I understand what you are communicating to me, it just makes no sense to me! Why would Sonos not allow a “home theater” grouping and a “music” grouping of the their speakers? I can’t believe they would think I would buy a second set of Play5s and sub to listen to music in the same room as the theater setup. Can anyone make sense of this? Is there a workaround? Sorry if I sound cranky- I’m just beginning to regret buying this stuff- it’s not cheap!

Thanks for the response. I understand what you are communicating to me, it just makes no sense to me! Why would Sonos not allow a “home theater” grouping and a “music” grouping of the their speakers? I can’t believe they would think I would buy a second set of Play5s and sub to listen to music in the same room as the theater setup. Can anyone make sense of this? Is there a workaround? Sorry if I sound cranky- I’m just beginning to regret buying this stuff- it’s not cheap!

Unfortunately, the way the sub/surrounds are connected to the soundbar needs to be very different (private, direct, one-way, 5 GHz, low latency) from the way a Sub and stereo pair are connected (standard Sonos 2.4 GHz buffered).  For TV sources, there has to be the low latency connection to stay in sync with the video, and for stereo, it needs to be buffered more and use the stronger 2.4 GHz connection in order to group through walls and floors.

As you see when you set these up, each configuration takes time to configure the radios and do the handshake to establish a good connection, so you cannot switch between the two instantaneously.

Wow, thanks for the clearest explanation I’ve heard! Now it makes sense. (Although no less frustrating.)