Skip to main content
Answered

Using a sonos port with a sonos connect amp

• 21 June 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi all, first post!

I have been using a sonos connect amp for streaming music to my outdoor pool area with wired speakers. The sonos connect amp has no rca outputs. I want to know if I can get a sonos port to use the rca line outs to my house stereo system, and have it play the same music stream in sync with the sonos connect amp that is driving my wired pool area speakers.

Sorry for the complicated question. Thank you in advance if anyone knows!

JLHayes

5 replies

I assume you havre a AV receiver amp with speakers.  If so you can connect a Sonos Port to an available RCA input on the AV receiver. You can stream music directly to the Connect:Amp or to the Port and group both together to hear the same audio. 

Great! Thank you for your quick response. Yes I do have an av receiver in the pool house so this will work. I wasn’t aware of grouping to sync sonos units.. Do both need to be on my wired network? The connect amp is on ethernet.

Thank you

Great! This is what happens when you wire a Sonos component:

The wired component creates what’s called the SonosNet which is a proprietary 2.4Ghz channel. Only Sonos gear can see and join. It essentially creates a stronger signal and filters out much of the interference found on a home network 2.4Ghz channel.

When adding a new Sonos unit it will see the SonosNet and join it. This assumes the component creating the SonosNet isn’t too far away from other Sonos gear.

Wired (SonosNet) and Wireless (WiFi) Sonos products can coexist under the same network and communicate for streaming.

I might add that Sonos no longer advocates use of the SonosNet for its most recent product releases such as the Era series, Move2 and Roam2. Sonos is gradually moving everything to home WiFi given the hardware improvements made by router manufacturers.

FYi…Sonos subs and/or surrounds cannot be wired to create the SonosNet.

And to add to that, here is how grouping functions. 

Wow. Thank you so much. All questions answered! Great product and support community.

Cheers! 🍻