Answered

Undefined devices in matrix

Badge

hi all, i have a mix of wired and wireless units around the house inside and out. The colours on the matrix change often with sometimes red showing but the system works without dropouts. 

As you can see on the screenshot there are several undefined devices. i have several root bridges, not all devices have the noise floor info and OFDM info also.

I have my managed switch with STP on, but this setting makes no difference to the squares showing that the STP is forwarding, this is the same state with the STP turned on or off on my switch. I've also made sure all devices have their IP listed in the DHCP table of my router so they get the same IP every time.

looking for some help

thank you

icon

Best answer by ratty 28 April 2020, 15:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Four of the devices appear to have had their radios disabled. I take it they’re wired.

Why three of them are showing as Root Bridge is a puzzle. It simply shouldn’t happen. There can be only one root per spanning tree domain.

Is the switch set to block all BPDUs on certain ports? Are you using VLANs? Could you have MSTP enabled?

BTW what STP bridge priority does the managed switch have?

Badge

Hi Ratty, STP bridge priority on the switch is 4096. Set as STP, it has RSTP and MSTP options also but I have not tried them.

My Sonos AMP, Connect:AMP, Play 3 and another older AMP are plugged in via cable and radios disabled. Was thinking to unplug all devices except the AMP and connect:amp which is running fronts/rears/sub for TV room and put everything on Wifi(Sonosnet) but I just entered all the MAC addresses recently so they have hardwired IPs for them.

ill check BPDUs on the switch, not sure what that is. No VLANs, I was thinking about it.

STP is the correct switch setting. At 4096 (hex 1000) the switch itself should be the root bridge if there was a single spanning tree domain. 

In your /support/review open the Pool player and the TV Room (the main player). For each one click on /usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0. What does it say for designated root?

Check whether any switch ports are set to block BPDUs in or out. BPDUs are the STP control frames. Such a setting may talk about STP, not BPDUs. What make/model of switch is it? 

---

By the way you can move devices freely between wired and wireless (SonosNet) without touching your IP reservations. Devices use the same IP, whichever way they connect. 

Badge

The designated root for the pool room and main TV room are different to each other and not related to the TP Link switch which has STP running. i assume they should be referring to the switch as the root?

I have a TPLINK T2600G-28TS switch, i found this screen, which is not enabled

The designated root for the pool room and main TV room are different to each other and not related to the TP Link switch which has STP running. i assume they should be referring to the switch as the root?

What do they each show for the designated root?

According to a user manual for that switch, it looks like you’d need to go to L2 FEATURES > Spanning Tree > Port Config and enable STP on each of the ports which connect to Sonos devices.

Badge

The Pool is showing the mac address of the Pool unit as its designated root.

The TV Room is showing the mac address for the old amp ZP100 as its designated root.

both these units are hardwired not wireless.

Should the TP-Link be showing up at the designated root?

thanks for your time on this also

Badge

i enabled all ports here and now the designated root is the mac address of the TPLINK switch

i have not adjusted anything on the BPDUs page, not sure if its needed?

also wasn't sure if the ext or int path cost needed to be 10 as per the specs on the sonos page about this.

That’s all beginning to look rather healthier. What does the network matrix now show? 

I’d expect all the wired devices to be secondary nodes, and all the wireless ones to be tertiary. The switch should be the designated root everywhere.

Badge

Here is what the latest is showing, the colours are not solid, they change a little but i guess there are no drop outs so i should not be worried.

you are correct in regards to the nodes.

That now looks sensible. Don’t touch any further switch settings, at least for STP.

Returning to the title of this thread

• the “undefined” in the left column are where the radio is disabled or, in the case of TV Room, it’s one of the latest wireless cards which doesn’t return ambient noise data in a form compatible with the matrix
  • the “undefined” in your top row are devices where the radio has been disabled. They leave a ghost column under the wireless MAC address, which differs from the main MAC by 1 in the last digit
Badge

Okay, thank you ratty I’ll learn to live with the extra devices showing up on the matrix.

Would you suggest moving more devices back to wifi and not on ethernet? Some of the devices will fall off soon when the new app comes in from Sonos so i want to keep the signal strong. 

The porch is way out the front of the house and on wifi, the pool is way out the back but on Ethernet so ill see what drops in strength when the old amp and the Den (an old connect) drop off.

again, ratty, thanks for your time

@sen8or, why did you disable the radio on 4 wired devices? And what do you mean here by WiFi – Sonos Wireless or have you entered the credentials of your home WiFi, thus operating Sonos in mixed mode? If the latter, remove the WiFi details. 

On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Networks. Select the WiFi network you'd like to remove, and tap Remove.

Would you suggest moving more devices back to wifi and not on ethernet?

Do whatever makes sense, and performs reliably. Generally the more wired devices the better. Of course leaving the radios enabled also offers the wireless devices more points to connect to.

The Connect:Amp driving the surrounds is an exception, since it has to have a wired connection back to the main HT player.

Badge

Sorry when i say wifi i mean Sonosnet. So when you have a device with Ethernet plugged in i thought you needed to disable the wifi in the app for each speaker so it would use the Ethernet. Are you saying i should enable all wifi on each speaker using the app but leave the Ethernet plugged in?

i don’t have my home wifi details entered into the Sonos app/speakers.

You don't need to, indeed shouldn't usually, disable the radio when using SonosNet.

The labelling in the app -- "Disable WiFi" -- is unhelpful and continues to confuse people. It should more accurately be labelled "Disable SonosNet".