Unable to go back to s1

Badge +3

Hi all, 

By accident (my son) my Sonos beam gen1 has been upgraded to the crap of s2 😩🤮

Now I'm trying to rollback to s1 but is not working.

Did somehow Sonos decided that it is not possible anymore to rollback? 

Could someone help me pls

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Badge +3

For info I start s2 app, 

Go in the settings menu 

Assistance 

Go to s1 in the product

=====

It starts to search for devices, but then nothing happened 😭😭😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi all, 

By accident (my son) my Sonos beam gen1 has been upgraded to the crap of s2 😩🤮

Now I'm trying to rollback to s1 but is not working.

Did somehow Sonos decided that it is not possible anymore to rollback? 

Could someone help me pls

Just as a matter of interest, what don’t you like about the S2 App?  I use it with my Beam and have no issues at all.

Also, any ‘rollback’ to S1 requires an already existing S1 product. If everything on your system is S2, there is no way to ‘rollback’. 

Edit: at least that’s my understanding. 

@Mutti .  I echo @UKMedia ‘s comments.  The S2 system works fine.  What is your objection to it?

Badge +3

Just as a matter of interest, what don’t you like about the S2 App?  I use it with my Beam and have no issues at all.

@John B@UKMedia 

Many things starting with the fact that is incompatible with some “old” products.
Sonos made some products incompatible with S2 only to make them forcibly obsolete.
I can't believe, for example, that updates made at the SMB protocol level cannot also be developed for S1 products too… I understand that Sonos has to push the new products, but if they don’t want to support the old ones, just “let them free” and give the chance to developers to do their job! :-(

Badge +3

@Mutti .  I echo @UKMedia ‘s comments.  The S2 system works fine.  What is your objection to it?

Thank you! maybe this is the trick. I will see how to do it, because I have a S1 speaker

@John B@UKMedia 

Many things starting with the fact that is incompatible with some “old” products.
Sonos made some products incompatible with S2 only to make them forcibly obsolete.
I can't believe, for example, that updates made at the SMB protocol level cannot also be developed for S1 products too… I understand that Sonos has to push the new products, but if they don’t want to support the old ones, just “let them free” and give the chance to developers to do their job! :-(

It’s pretty tough to update the SMB protocol when a newer protocol doesn’t even exist in the Linux kernel they are using for S1, and upgrading the kernel isn’t possible because there’s not enough RAM/storage to run a newer kernel.  

Badge +3

@jgatie , I don’t know how you are aware about this things, but for example on tasmota devices, since the RAM/storage is low, to upgrade the firmware you first load a minimal version e then you move to the new one. This could be a solution to the problem you exposed…

or maybe there are a 1000 other better solutions, but sonos has to free the old devices :)

@jgatie, I don’t know how you are aware about this things, but for example on tasmota devices, since the RAM/storage is low, to upgrade the firmware you first load a minimal version e then you move to the new one. This could be a solution to the problem you exposed…

or maybe there are a 1000 other better solutions, but sonos has to free the old devices :)

What do you mean by ‘set them free’?  Since you own these devices, I’m sure you’re free to put your own software on them, and use them in whatever way you please.  Are you wanting to Sonos to hand over the firmware source code for S1,so you can make your own changes?   I’m no patent lawyer, but I’d think that would allow Sonos competitors to use Sonos code without fear of lawsuit and severely damage Sonos as a business.  

Badge +3

I know it is a patent related problem (money). And may also ethical. You can trow away your old device every year if you want. It’s up to you

@jgatie, I don’t know how you are aware about this things, but for example on tasmota devices, since the RAM/storage is low, to upgrade the firmware you first load a minimal version e then you move to the new one. This could be a solution to the problem you exposed…

What if the "new one" containing all the functionality needed to run Sonos is too big?

Badge +3

Ok, I think this discussion is going away from my first request. 

All the rest is a philosophical discussion about ethic and so on 😉

It’s similar to changing socks while running. Assuming that the kernel is at least partially stored in RAM or that it is possible to rewrite the onboard PROM, if the new kernel is larger, the underlying software must be shrunk. This could mean decreased Playlist and Library Index space and it might mean shrinking the data cache that assists in riding through network communication stalls. This wound require substantial rework of the firmware for an ever shrinking NAS user base that is continuing with S1.

We don’t know the numbers. Since all of this effort would need to be financed by additional sales, I don’t know if there is the likelihood of enough new or lost sales to make a difference.

Downgrade to S1.

Badge +3

Thank you for the link. 

The fact is that is missing the info that @Airgetlam gave me. 😉

Sorry, wrong thread.

ianj

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m running Sonos S1 speakers from my MacBook Pro with Qfinder Pro Nas which needs SMB1. QNAP upgraded so that SMB1 is not default. Anyone know how I can change to SMB1?

Any advice gladly received.

Regards

Ian j

Thread hijack alert: please, start a fresh thread, your question has nothing to do with the OP’s opener.