Two Sonos Rooms in One Physical Room - New Discussion String - Year 2020

• 21 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Can I set the Sub up with the Amp under Media Room and then set the same Sub up with my Arc and Sonos Ones in the same physical room but call the room Home Theatre Room  (Media Room and Home Theatre Room are one in the same physically).

The reason I ask is that I want to use the Arc, Sub, and Ones for my movie watching; and then use the Amp and Sub with my wired speakers to just listen to music.  Again the same physical room is being used.  The Sub would only ever be used in either one or the other set up.  I know the Real Play could cause some issues because the Sub would be grouped with two different sets of speakers but with all the other things that Sonos has programed not sure why this would be so hard.  BTW - I could only find old discussion strings on this option.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Sonos Sub can only be bonded to one Sonos room at a time. It is possible however to move the sub and bond it to another room reasonably quickly, but each time you shift it you may want to retune the room with Trueplay and that’s a nuisance.

Ideally you could do with a second sub, one for each Sonos room, which means having two subs in the same physical room.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Ken.  I would think that it should be easy for Sonos to allow for the same sub to be used for two different “settings” - one for music listening and one for movie viewing.  Most people I know watch and listen to movies/music in the same physical room and since Sonos does not have a system in place to have two front speakers with a separate center speaker they need to have a way to utilize one sub for both “settings”.  Sound bars are only really good for movies not sitting and listening to music.  

In the perfect world:  Sonos Fives for front left and right, Sonos “Centre”, Sonos Ones for surround sound (or even another set of Fives), and a Sonos Sub.  The Sonos center could be the Sonos Arc redesigned to perform strictly center channel functionality.  Now if you wanted Atmos - that’s another idea I have but I will leave that for now.

Thanks Ken.  I would think that it should be easy for Sonos to allow for the same sub to be used for two different “settings” - one for music listening and one for movie viewing.  Most people I know watch and listen to movies/music in the same physical room and since Sonos does not have a system in place to have two front speakers with a separate center speaker they need to have a way to utilize one sub for both “settings”.  Sound bars are only really good for movies not sitting and listening to music.  

In the perfect world:  Sonos Fives for front left and right, Sonos “Centre”, Sonos Ones for surround sound (or even another set of Fives), and a Sonos Sub.  The Sonos center could be the Sonos Arc redesigned to perform strictly center channel functionality.  Now if you wanted Atmos - that’s another idea I have but I will leave that for now.

I don’t think anyone would argue too much against your thoughts/wishes here. I certainly wouldn’t.

I see the S2 Sonos App, following a recent update, now allows for two Sonos Subs (one has to be Gen 3) to be attached to a Home Theatre Room setup.

We currently have a Sonos Arc, with modest rear surrounds and a single Sub and I would love to add two separate front L/R channel speakers (aswell as a second sub) to our system to create a wider front soundstage, particularly for ‘full’ stereo music playback - rather than having to mess around with Sonos Room grouping/ungrouping within the same physical space. 

So ‘fingers crossed’ for these type of future developments from Sonos. It would ‘highly likely’ increase their speaker sales too. I see the new sub is already now on back order, so that’s looking ‘extremely popular’.