Answered

TV and Turntable on Playbar and AMP

• 15 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

In my living room, I have a TV with Playbar and a turntable connected to a new AMP (all Sonos S2).

It appears impossible to use the AMP as surround speakers for the Playbar, without losing the turntable input. Any suggestions? Currently, I can of course group the Playbar and AMP, but that’s not the same as a proper surround setup.

Should I convert the turntable signal to optical and then put an optical switch in from of the Playbar? Any other ideas??

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 15 January 2021, 15:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @pterhaar 

The Amp cannot do double duty when powering surrounds. However, the bigger question is why not purchase a pair of Sonos One’s (if you want a voice assistant) or Sonos One SL’s (no voice assistant) to use as surrounds.

The only reason to use and Amp for surrounds is if you have a pair of 3rd party speakers you want to use. If so your option is to purchase a Sonos Port to use with your TT or a Sonos Five and use it’s line-in connection. FYI, your TT has to be pre-amped either outboard or built-in. However, I assume you already knew that. :)

Badge

Hi,

I already have the Amp and some really good KEF speakers (I thought I wrote that in in my first sentence) and the quality of the S1’s can’t be compared (I have a few of those too). I really can’t justify buying a Port for this.

The solution I went for is a simple optical AD converter and an optical switch, so I can choose which signal enters the Playbar’s input. It’s a bit of a silly solution since the Amp has the appropriate kit and it’s only a software issue.