Turntable setup through tv for free

• 5 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Want to hook up a turntable to a beam or arc without an amp or port? Totally possible.

I plugged the turntable cord (rca white and red) into my tv, my tv to the beam as normal with the hdmi, and changed the input to the rca signal and the record player works! I had to turn off the auto shut off for the tv so i could play records for a long time without it shutting down since there is no video signal. I don’t mind the tv on while I play records. I would mind spending $500 or $650 to hook up through an amp or port! This is free and works great. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Yup. All it requires is the TV to have a pair of analog RCA audio inputs, and the willingness to have the TV on every time you want to listen to a record. And, impending many cases, a pee-amp to get the phono level to line level for the TV set to ‘read’ it. 

You could use the same method to connect any device that has an analog output. CD player, tape deck, etc. You’re relying in the electronics inside the TV to take the analog input, and send it out through either the optical or HDMI output.