Skip to main content

Hi folks!  I’m new to Sonos in a new home with new WIFI with mesh extension, and I’m having enough trouble setting up my system and consistently getting it to work that I’m coming close to throwing in the towel -- i.e. returning the whole system to the local supplier where we bought it and trying something else entirely.  Rather than spell out all the problems I’m experiencing, I’m wondering if anyone can provide real-time assistance for setup, or recommend a professional service that I can contact? 

I’m finding directions provided Sonos on their support site to be far too broad.  It tends to take me around in circles with few solid solutions.  I’ve gone one round already with Sonos customer service, and while helpful, my 45-plus-minute wait on hold was followed by one-hour of on-phone/on-line assistance from an off-shore tech to connect my Sonos account to my PC music library, so I’m reluctant to go that route again -- just too damned slow.  I find the apps -- both for my iPhone and PC running Windows 10 (which has all of our music files) -- to be inconsistent, occasionally telling me that it can’t access my files, and then I totally lose control of the speaker, requiring a very pesky reboot.  

My in-laws have had a Sonos system for a few years that they love, and my brother-in-law is even less tech-savvy than I am (and I’m NOT tech-savvy!), so I know it’s possible to get it to work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks to all… Cheers!

Jim

Sonos has been suffering from a self inflicted disaster with their latest update and the fixes are coming very slowly. Finding a support person that knows the new update  well enough to be worth the bill they'll charge will be tough.

Things will improve over time (months?) until all is working as it should. Sonos has had previous similar (not as bad) issues in the past and come through in the end.

Talk with the local folks, give them the option to make it work or take it back. Watch the return window, it can be as short as 30 days depending on your location.

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  Comforting to know I’m not the only one having trouble; not comforting to know the problems aren’t new and solutions have been slow in coming.  Tomorrow I’ll contact the local business where I bought my systems (Abt Electronics, just outside of Chicago -- absolutely fabulous!).

ITMT, an thoughts on possibility of connecting to our WIFI more easily?  We have an Eero mesh network with a base and 2 extension nodes.  I’ve only been able to connect my plugging in our components right next to the base.  Should I be able to change any settings in order to connect from anywhere in my home? 

I’m a long time (10+ year) owner of fairly extensive Sonos systems and all three systems (in two houses) rarely function over the past few months despite me resetting speakers, modems/routers, apps, etc.  I highly recommend returning your system if you still can and going with some other speaker system.  At least return the system and wait to see if Sonos is able to fix their problems or you find an alternate product that works for you.  

Hi All,

I have the same issue, Mesh extension at home and the beam and the sub won’t recognise the WiFi, I tried to use only the 2.4 Ghz, but nothing.. the app is miserable, simply it is not working anymore.

I don’t know what to do..  

If you can return the system, you should do that.  Even if you get support to assist, they cannot do much as the software and firmware are broken. 

I have had two support calls, and while they try to help, there’s not much they can do, and they are also not up to speed on the latest firmware bugs.  The last call I had last week, they wanted me to install the latest broken firmware that causes even more issues with the music library.  Since I didn’t want to break my system further, they could not offer support - only if I’m on the latest firmware.  If I could return my stuff I would, but I’m neck deep in this for over a decade. :( 

Hi All,

I have the same issue, Mesh extension at home and the beam and the sub won’t recognise the WiFi, I tried to use only the 2.4 Ghz, but nothing.. the app is miserable, simply it is not working anymore.

Does your entire home wifi use the same wifi name (ie the mesh extension doesn’t have an extra “2.4” or “5” on the end of the WiFi name)?

The last call I had last week, they wanted me to install the latest broken firmware that causes even more issues with the music library.  Since I didn’t want to break my system further, they could not offer support - only if I’m on the latest firmware. 

What, they had the audacity to want you to be on the latest firmware so they can help you? But you refused? Hardly their fault they can’t help you then is it?!

You’re second guessing that the update will break things rather than rectify the issues you’re having. They can help you if you update, but if you refuse then that’s your look out. 
If it doesn’t work without the updated firmware then what have you got to lose by trying things with the updated firmware?

Hi All,

Does your entire home wifi use the same wifi name (ie the mesh extension doesn’t have an extra “2.4” or “5” on the end of the WiFi name)?

Yes, I tried with the same WiFi name, I changed it, I split it, I tried again with the same name… I restart the router, I connected the Beam by cable, I reset the bean as well.. no way to have a WiFi recognised… I will wait the next Sonos update app…  

Hi All,

Yes, I tried with the same WiFi name, I changed it, I split it, I tried again with the same name… I restart the router, I connected the Beam by cable, I reset the bean as well.. no way to have a WiFi recognised… I will wait the next Sonos update app…  

Today!

The last call I had last week, they wanted me to install the latest broken firmware that causes even more issues with the music library.  Since I didn’t want to break my system further, they could not offer support - only if I’m on the latest firmware. 

What, they had the audacity to want you to be on the latest firmware so they can help you? But you refused? Hardly their fault they can’t help you then is it?!

You’re second guessing that the update will break things rather than rectify the issues you’re having. They can help you if you update, but if you refuse then that’s your look out. 
If it doesn’t work without the updated firmware then what have you got to lose by trying things with the updated firmware?

It’s not a second guess, it’s a fact. Firmware 16.3/16.3.1 BREAKS the local library index quite spectacularly. If you have any albums that have any tracks where the artists tags don’t exactly match the album artist (compilations for example where for years the convention is to use Various Artists as the  album artist name) Sonos now creates multiple entries for the same album, and then within these entries completely messes up the track order too, meaning playback of these becomes impossible.

Sonos are aware of the issue but have NO ETA on a fix, and also have admitted this is speaker firmware not the app. 

So @stevepow is wise to not install the latest firmware. 

The only people guessing here are the ones who claim all this is down to ‘network’ issues. 😠

Updates are being released weekly despite the CEO saying fortnightly so that’s positive. So I imagine your issues will be sorted very soon. There was no ETA for a few of the issues fixed by Monday’s update so don’t equate ‘no ETA’ with ‘not being worked on’.

I hope that’s a nice polite response.