Answered

Sub Gen 3 crossover functionality & inceiling speaker

• 29 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Am new to Sonos and Sub Gen 3 is on its way. Am wondering if setting the crossover for the sub works the same as setting the crossover in a processor/preamp i.e. set to 80 Hz and no speaker will play lower than 80 Hz other than the sub.

OR with Sonos, will only the sub play up to whatever frequency is set as the crossover and the rest of the speakers will play down to their Hz limits? i.e. sub set to 80 Hz and inceiling speakers can play to 40 Hz. Will inceiling speakers only play down to 80 Hz like in a traditional processor/preamp setting? Or will they play down to 40 Hz?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 July 2023, 12:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Where are you seeing these crossover settings?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sub

The Amp with a non-Sonos Sub has them:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-a-third-party-subwoofer-with-amp-or-connect-amp

The Sonos Sub will only play when bonded to another Sonos device, it is not a standalone subwoofer.

Appreciate the response. I should've clarified. Sub will be connected with the Arc and then the inceiling speakers will be powered with the Sonos amp as are planned as surrounds for home theater plus will also play with the Arc and sub for music only.

Wondering if the inceiling speakers will be subject to the crossover setting or will play lower.

Since they’re part of the room that contains the Arc, they’ll be subject to a slightly different crossover, because the Sub is connected in that same room. However, I don’t think Sonos provides any way to adjust that, it does all the settings automatically depending on the devices connected. Which is slightly challenging in your situation, since the Sonos is incapable of knowing what speakers are connected to the Amp. However, I suspect that the settings that the system chooses when you bond the Sub to the Arc will be more than sufficient. 

I’d suggest you try, and see. If you’re unhappy, come back and let us know. I’d just be sure to set the surrounds in your home theater room to ‘full’, rather than ‘ambient’ for playback of music, which you’ll find in the surround settings for that ‘room’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You might want to run TruePlay and see if it makes any difference to your setup.

It might support the ceiling speakers you have:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tune-your-sonos-speakers-with-trueplay

“Amp and Connect:Amp also support Trueplay when powering any third-party surround speakers in a Sonos home theater setup.”

Ah thanks for the suggestion. Will have to find someone with an iPhone for that as my family is all Android users :)

I don’t think TruePlay changes any crossover frequencies, just relative volumes.