struggling to combine exsisting system with sonos using a port.

• 16 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi 

I have an existing Bose lifestyle cinema surround sound for my tv. 
I was recommended to buy a port so as I could upgrade my existing system & speakers by adding Sonos, sub & speakers to the existing system for listening to music & enhanced cinema sound.

I have managed to link the old & new speakers for music, but I am struggling for TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you clarify what exactly you wanted to use the Port for and how (and what exactly) you connected it to? What “old & new speakers” did you link?

Hi

the port has been added to our old bose lifestyle surround sound system & speakers & we have successfully linked 2 sonos five speakers which means we can now stream music with a much more enhanced sound. We are disappointed as we have now been told it wont work to enhance our tv experience. It seems we can link old & new speakers for music only. Shame! We can still use our Bose surround sound for TV though. All a bit messy &  not the full package for the amount of money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Port is indeed not intended for home cinema use. But if your Bose system has an RCA out, that can be connected to the Port. If you then group the Fives with the Port, the sound from your home cinema system will reach the Fives - with 70ms delay for buffering which may or may not bother you.

If I may ask, who advised you?

I’m not sure there’s any company out there that wants to allow a mixing of their system with another company’s products, beyond normal analog outputs. Certainly neither BOSE nor Sonos are set up to mix and match, especially when looking at the “higher” formats in use for theater sound. 

Thank you, I will check & try if poss. I realise companies are protective of their brands. A local reputable retailer that I called for advice suggested the port but they were out of stock so I tracked one down from another company. When I think about it I probably heard what I wanted to & presumed this would work with the TV. Doubting myself now. Will try your suggestion & if I get anywhere I will post. Thanks again!