Static IP question

Badge

Hi all. I’ve been reading these threads forever, thought I’d finally post my own questions 🙂 I’ve gained a lot of insight from all of you contributing to the forums and I’d like to thank you. This particular question of mine has to do with static IP addresses.

First of, I’m very novice at this and trying to better my system as I gain some knowledge from my readings. I’ve read several times that, if you create static IPs for your Sonos devices, it’s important to configure them outside of the DHCP range. Can someone please elaborate a bit on this? I’ve posted some screenshots below of what I’ve done. I was able to select all of my Sonos products from the client list and give them static IP assignments, but I don’t think they’re outside of my DHCP? One screenshot is of my assignment list, and the other is what I think my DHCP range is - is it 100-200? So would I want to assign the suffixes, or last three digits, at something under 100 or over 200? If so, why have an assignment list in the first place? Thank you all again and looking forward to your insight.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

It sounds like the router just needs to age out the leases for the old IPs. One could always reboot it to speed things along.

Badge

Thanks Belly & ratty! The IPs for each product in Sonos System Info seem to be staying true to what they were assigned. It Seems the “Associated Product” IP keeps changing. Is this normal?

It Seems the “Associated Product” IP keeps changing. Is this normal?

Yes. It’s the player the controller uses to obtain information from the system. Typically it’s the first player to respond to discovery when the controller starts. It can subsequently change during the session.

Badge

Ah. That probably gives some insight on signal strength as well I would think - which player connects to the controller the quickest. You guys are the best, so glad I joined the forum. I’ve learned so much the last couple of days. Hope to be able to give back at some point. Thank you, have a great weekend!

Ah. That probably gives some insight on signal strength as well I would think - which player connects to the controller the quickest.

Not necessarily, but connection latency is one of the possible factors. Also, how busy each player is on other tasks when the controller issues the discovery broadcast. As I say, the Associated Product can change during the session, for other reasons.

It’s not terribly relevant to the user in everyday usage. Regular playback control commands are sent directly to whichever player (room) has controller focus, irrespective of the Associated Product.