Speakers sound good on the carpeted floor.... am I crazy?!

• 28 January 2019
  • 2 replies

I recently had to temporarily move two play 1s to the floor (carpeted) while a room is being redone ... I turned them on expecting it to sound poorly... it was ok... I ran Trueplay... and honestly they seem to sound great... better than before when they were closer to ear level.

This goes against everything I know and would expect. Have I just not experienced it enough with a diverse range and nuanced ear? These Play 1s appear to be more full and robust sounding... as if they were play 5s.

The only thing I have noticed so far is that volume has to be a little higher to fill the space.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Not crazy. It's probably just how the room is. Sound is subjective. Personally I'm not a fan of trueplay tuning. Each time I've done it to my system, it removes the bass. Didn't buy a sub to have subtle bass. ;)

So if it sounds better on the floor, who's to judge?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Yeah, every room is different. I was renting a room from someone and putting my Play:3 on the very deep window sill turned the space below it into a rather effective bass radiator. Something in your room placement just happens to make it the sweet spot for audio.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings