Skip to main content
Question

SonosNet set-up/convert from existing wi-fi set-up

• 25 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Good Afternoon.

I read various sources on using SonosNet for my speakers.  I’ve attempted to switch over and I am missing step.  The next steps feel like basically deleting what I have set-up and starting from scratch.

I current run eight Ones, two Move 2, and a mini sub throughout my house.  the two Move 2 are paired, one set of Ones are paired, and the second paired set is connected with mini sub.  the rest are singles in the house.

I have one speaker plugged in directly to the network, the rest run on Wi-Fi from same network.  This next step is where I hesitate.  Do I basically delete the Wi-Fi settings from the main menu and then walk the house, going to each speaker and re-add them?  There should be a SonosNet choice this time for the network name (WM:1), correct?

I just need to document the MAC address before starting to know which speaker is being reset so I go to the right place?  

I wanted to ask this question before doing this action because it feels like a destructive to the set-up way of going about it, therefor wanted a little confirmation.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello!

The moment you plug an ethernet cable into one of your speakers, SonosNet is enabled and the other speakers should automatically join the, now enabled, SonosNet WiFi network.

The only case that it would not work this way is if, for some reasons, after plugging the ethernet cable into the speaker, you went and disabled the WiFi interface for that particular speaker from within the app.

Worst case scenario, the other speakers might need to be rebooted after you plugged the ethernet cable.

There is no need to delete the WiFi settings.

Okay.  Yes, I plugged in one speaker to the network, and it is running on cable.  It has wireless enabled.  So, if that is all I do, all the other speakers will now use the SonosNet in preference to Wi-fi?

I can’t say for sure I rebooted intentional, but there have been some power outages in the house, so they have been rebooted for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

All the SonosNet capable speakers should use SonosNet in that situation, but not all Sonos speakers are SonosNet capable. Newer Sonos speakers do not have the capability.

in the past, there have been rare reports of speakers getting ‘stuck’ and not switching from WiFi to SonosNet properly, but it seems to be rectified by a simple power cycle. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup