Sonos ZP100 dismantle and possible repair guide.

• 26 June 2013
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Given the predictable abrupt cut-out after a short period of time, any thoughts on whether this is this likely to be hardware related?
Given the unit is quite old, I don't know if Sonos would offer to repair, so should I consider opening it up to take a look?

Sounds like it's hardware related. When it becomes unresponsive, does the unit respond at all to the mute button being pressed? If not, it's locking up and probably a bad unit.

We offer an out of warranty replacement for most units that aren't working right, even if they're 10 years old. One of the big things that makes a player unavailable for this replacement option is if the unit has been opened up. My advice, give us a call or reply back to your incident if it's an email. Don't open the player.

Let the technician know it's still dropping off and they'll take a closer look at if a replacement is available.
Badge
Given the predictable abrupt cut-out after a short period of time, any thoughts on whether this is this likely to be hardware related?
Given the unit is quite old, I don't know if Sonos would offer to repair, so should I consider opening it up to take a look?

Sounds like it's hardware related. When it becomes unresponsive, does the unit respond at all to the mute button being pressed? If not, it's locking up and probably a bad unit.

We offer an out of warranty replacement for most units that aren't working right, even if they're 10 years old. One of the big things that makes a player unavailable for this replacement option is if the unit has been opened up. My advice, give us a call or reply back to your incident if it's an email. Don't open the player.

Let the technician know it's still dropping off and they'll take a closer look at if a replacement is available.

Thanks for you reply Ryan. Pressing the mute button has no effect after it's cut-out, the white light just remains on.

It hasn't been opened up, I've had it from new and it's worked perfectly until now.

I'm discussing the incident via Facebook Messenger at the moment. Would you recommend that I call in instead?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
They'll be able to get you started, if they can't finalize the replacement, they'll at least get a ticket started up for you to work with the phone team. It's a great way to have all the notes put together.
Hi rosscoundon,

I have had a very similar experience. After a factory reset the ZP100 it shows up in the controller and works for around 1 or 2 minutes. Then the music stops and the the zone becomes frozen on the controller. Then the zone disappears from the controller. The white light is still on, but the LED is noticeably dimmer.

I've gone through the Facebook Messenger process, which failed to resolve the issue. They created a ticket and I was able to get on a call with a technician. He went through a lot of the same steps, but no solution. He recommended sending the device back for an out-of-warranty replacement; however, this is going to cost around £130 for a reconditioned ZP100. This is very disappointing.

Rosscoundon - did you have any luck with your device?
Badge
Hi rosscoundon,

I have had a very similar experience. After a factory reset the ZP100 it shows up in the controller and works for around 1 or 2 minutes. Then the music stops and the the zone becomes frozen on the controller. Then the zone disappears from the controller. The white light is still on, but the LED is noticeably dimmer.

I've gone through the Facebook Messenger process, which failed to resolve the issue. They created a ticket and I was able to get on a call with a technician. He went through a lot of the same steps, but no solution. He recommended sending the device back for an out-of-warranty replacement; however, this is going to cost around £130 for a reconditioned ZP100. This is very disappointing.

Rosscoundon - did you have any luck with your device?

It turned out to be a wireless clash, despite how adamant I was that it was hardware! I recently got Sky Q and there is a conflict in how Sky Q attempts to monopolise the various channels that was locking up my Sonos.

I've changed channels which has helped a bit but I still get the occasional issue
I'm having a similar issue on ZP100. After a rebooting the ZP100 it shows up in the controller and only works for around 1 or 2 minutes. And then i still can ping to the IP address of device, but it disappear in controller. I did test, like reserving DHCP IP, changing WIFI channel, using wired LAN, and hard reset, but no one works. Once it disappears in controller, the mute button has no response, IP still can be pingable but no response on URL:"x.x.x.x:1400/status". I can still reset the device, re-add the device, and all operations are normal.

I recall the issue may be occurred after i upgraded the firmware to 7.x, and now it's 8.11. I suspend it may be related to the firmware version,but It seems no way to downgrade firmwall to previous version. My ZP100 is quite old, the hardware version is 1.1.3.2-2, which has the problem with new firmware. do not know if SONOS still have the source to support the bug fix for the old devices...
Thanks for the dismental guide, finally I can open the box.