Sonos (Turntable / Yamaha Integrated Amp) Advice

Badge
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me out.

Currently, my setup is Turntable > Phono Preamp > Connect > Integrated Amp > Passive Speakers. That way when I play my records I can here it on all my Sonos Speakers in my house.

However, does anyone know if there is a way to set it up as Turntable > Phono Pre Amp > Yamaha Receiver.

And have the Connect plugged only into the receiver. I'm worried about the Connect effecting the Analog signal.

Here's a picture of the back of my receiver.

Thanks for the help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Yes; then the REC out on the Yamaha would be wired to the Line in on the Connect, and the Connect outs to the Yamaha.

Why do you want to do this?
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
As stated above, Sonos to rec line out. Also connect the line out or digital line out from Sonos to the amp for streaming.
By the way, is your phono preamp not redundant since you have phono input on the Yamaha?
Badge
I was thinking that if I'm not using the Sonos speakers. I won't have the Connect changing the sound signal for the sound of my passive speakers.

Does the Connect not effect the sound at all if it's Uncompressed. I've heard that it does.
Badge
I've read that the phono input on the Yahama isn't the best quality. So, I purchased an all Tube Phono Preamp.
Badge
So to make sure i'm understanding. You can put RCA's in the Yahamah's Line 2 REC into Connect Input RCAs. Then take RCAs into the Connect Output and plug them into the Yamaha Yamaha Line 2 Inputs?

Could I just plug the Coax from the Sonos into the Coax on the Yamaha?

Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
If you use the rca outs on the Sonos, the Sonos is decoding the sound files. If you use the digital out on the Sonos, that job falls on the receiver. Choose the one that sounds best to you.
Badge
What in your opinion will sound better?
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Digital out is only one way, you need to line in to the Sonos Connect to allow streaming out to other speakers from the receiver source (phono). You need to line out from connect to receiver to allow streaming into receiver from WiFi sources.
You could do all of those things, but they will not affect the heard sound a jot, compared to the existing set up. And while I can't be as sure, neither will dumping the phono amp, and using the one of the Yamaha via the alternative suggested from REC out to Connect - I can't be sure for not knowing enough about the two pre amps.

The other reason for using the Yamaha is if you had other sources like Tuner and CD player as well. Then you could use the Yamaha as a switcher to route these sources to the Connect. But if your only sources are Turntable and streamed music, leave things as they are. Because moving the turntable to the Yamaha directly will cause out of sync sound between the Yamaha speakers and Sonos speakers.
Badge
So would you just recommend me do turntable > phono > connect > Yamaha > speakers.

I'm using a Yamaha a-s701. And a pro-ject tube box s2 as the phono preamp
Badge
I'm just doing turntable and steaming apple music. No other sources.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
In my opinion, and how mine is set up, is digital out to receiver. I have a high end Yamaha Adventage setup. However, most audio geeks will say that sample rate and bit depth specs are likely the same between both and shouldn’t matter. I’m my case, my receiver has digital compression enhancer which is supposed to improve and fill in compression loss.
Badge
Explain me digital out to receiver? Does that mean RCA in the outputs of the Connect and it plugged into the Inputs of the receiver? So the chain is turntable > preamp > connect > receiver.
Changing to the coax route from Connect to Yamaha will mean that you are using the DAC on the Yamaha instead of that in the Connect. Again, no audible difference, a DAC is a DAC is a DAC. But there are many audiophiles who will bend your ears to say otherwise, if you have the time for them.
Badge
This is my receiver. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s701/features.html
Badge
So your set up is turntable (RCA) to connect. And then connect (coax) to receiver?
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Since you already have the tube preamp, I’d suggest you do this.
Phono>preamp>receiver
Receiver rec out>Sonos Connect line in
Sonos Connect digital our>receiver digital in.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
So your set up is turntable (RCA) to connect. And then connect (coax) to receiver?
No. I’m set up as above but I used the optical out
I'm just doing turntable and steaming apple music. No other sources.
Excellent. Stick to the existing set up and enjoy the music - you will not get better sound, subject to what is there in the source files, quality of the LP, and quality of the turntable. Not much you can do with that except lash out on a more expensive turntable, which I don't recommend if yours works as well as streamed music. You could also change sound quality by getting better speakers, but I don't recommend that either if you are happy with what you hear today.
Phono>preamp>receiver

Be advised that this will cause sync issues between the Yamaha and Sonos speakers.
Badge
Thanks for your time. And to be clear. Yahama REC (RCAs) into the Connect Input. Then on the Connect (plug in a Coax and put it in the Coax of the Yahama)?
Badge
Or use Optical? Instead of Coax
Badge
And. When it comes to the REC input. Should it be same line as the preamp is input. Or do they need to be separated. For example Line 1 inputs have the phono. And the outputs of line 1 go to the Connect?
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Phono>preamp>receiver

Be advised that this will cause sync issues between the Yamaha and Sonos speakers.

This has not been an issue for me. If OP hasn’t had an issue thus far with current setup, he shouldn’t see one with this one should he?
In the current set up with the TT wired to the Connect, the designed delay in the Connect is being passed to all speakers including the ones driven by the Yamaha, so all are equally delayed, but in sync. If the TT signals are now fed to the Yamaha and separately to the Connect, they will pass directly through the Yamaha to the Yamaha speakers with no audible delay; but the signal from the TT that will go to the Connect, will suffer a delay there before being sent to Sonos speakers. Result: out of sync.