Question

sonos to connect wireless on 2 access points

i have a bunch of sonos.
now also 2 play5 in other building beside my house which most of sonos is on one access point in this building 2 i have another wifi access point and on the same Lan network , and controlled by the same dhcp router
but in building 2 i can only connect the 2 play5 using wired connection
i would really prefer not to use cables in building2

anybody got an instruction of how to make this work ? , i have heard something of using same ssid on the 2 accespoints and something more .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Frankie-boy

You may want to consider switching to Boost mode and eliminate AP's and Extenders considering the other building is beside your house, I'd also recommend purchasing the dedicated Boost component $99-USD). Here are two links on setup:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/range%20extender

Please post back with your decision. Cheers!
thanks , i have read the links i dont understand fully since im danish

the distance between the house and building2 is 30-40 meter and is connected via lan-cable

you recommend to wire one of the components in the house ( then all sonos in the house works as boost ? ) , and connect a boost in building 2 , and connect the 2 play5 to boost

correct ? ( or do i need 2 boosts ? ) ( must or for better performance )
To run in Standard/WiFi mode, just set the two access points up with the same SSID/key. If the PLAY:5s in the second building have been configured whilst joined to the rest of the system they will have the correct WiFi details.
i have done some investigation in the meantime , for best performance i think i will switch to Boost mode in the house , since i have most sonos units there , if possible then i would like the 2 play5 to connect wireless to the access-point in building 2 , how is that possible ??
'Mixed mode' is not officially supported. It can cause instability. In your case the players in building 2 will try to connect to SonosNet in building 1. They could flip back and forth between SonosNet and the local WiFi.

Try it, but you may end up having to add a second wired BOOST, in building 2.
i will try ,,,many thanks

im going to buy a boost tomorrow ( for the house ) ,,, but will 2 boosts ( 1 each building ) work on same lan-network ?

if yes i may just buy 2 boost , and have no more worries ?
Yes. You can have multiple wired Sonos devices. However the intervening switches (or router) must support STP -- Spanning Tree Protocol. Sonos uses this to avoid network loops, since wired devices can usually also hear one another wirelessly.

Managed switches which support STP typically need to have it explicitly enabled. Dumb switches usually forward STP traffic transparently so aren't a problem. More info here, here and here.
thanks ,,, thats good information :D

i have a good friend who knows more deeply about network i will forward this to him
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I have a post in this group about using tp-link managed Ethernet switches with SONOS. I used the documents listed in a earlier post as a guide to setting them up. So far everything is working great. I am using a SONOS Boost as my primary connection to the router.
I am wondering , does the play1 connected with cable give the same signal and strength as the boost ? , not much more money and does not use much more space ,,, but more value for money , what are your opinions ? , better deal to buy 2 play1 instead of 2 boost ?
Any Sonos unit can be wired. (Sonos' choice of nomenclature for SonosNet mode -- 'BOOST setup' -- is a little confusing since a BOOST is not mandatory.) In terms of signal strength, PLAY:1 is pretty much the same as BOOST. But BOOST evidently has better interference rejection, such as from a nearby router.

Basically, if you want to use a player as the wired component then do so. If it's inconvenient to wire a player, get a BOOST instead.
If a player is as good and also signal strength as a boost , then i will buy 2 small players ,,,,, more value for money