Question

Sonos (Symfonisk) and VLAN on UDM base (Ubiquity)

• 14 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I’ve got an Symfonisk running in a seperate VLAN than my pc’s/laptops (V12.1 build 60381140) /mobile devices (IOS/android V 12.1 build 60381140) .

I’ve found already a few KB article's but i don’t get it to work.

The setup is the following:

1. Ubiquity UDM Base
    1. multiple VLANS
    2. per VLAN / network the following is turned on
      1. Network ==> IGMP Snooping enabled
      2. Network ==> UPnP enabled
      3. Wireless ==> Multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)
      4. Wireless ==> BBS Transition with WNM
      5. Wireless ==> Remaps ARP table for station
    3. Multicast DNS is enabled
    4. UPnP is enabled with the following options
      1. Secure mode
      2. Network where SONOS lives
      3. Network where PS/Laptops lives
      4. Network where mobile devices live
    5. Firewall rule Lan in
      1. rule 2000 Source PC/Laptop VLAN Destination Sonos IP Accept everything
      2. rule 2001 Source mobile devices VLAN Destination Sonos IP Accept everything

What i try, i’m not able to connect with the app (on android / ios / win10) to the Sonos.

Only when i change my network connection to where the sonos lives i’m able to get access

Can someone point me in the correct location to solve this?

Thanks

MAdD

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @B-MAdD, thank you for reaching us out in the Sonos Community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking for the resolution. Let me help you with this.

To be able to connect to your Sonos system, your mobile devices should be in the same network as your Sonos.

I'd like to ask a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

1. Is your speaker wire to your router?
  2. When you connect to your Sonos system, are you getting an error message?
  3. Have you tried resetting the Sonos app to refresh it?
    • On the Sonos app > Settings > Reset App > follow the steps on the app
  4. How about rebooting your network, and Sonos devices by unplugging from the power? Were you able to connect?

If you're still having the same issue after checking the steps above, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model for each device.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Thanks for your answer Rowena.

But it should be possible, with the correct firewall rules to enable the SONOS in a different VLAN.

That is the reason why i posted this in the advanced setup.

Of course everything works when you put it in the same network (wired or wireless), but this isn't my question :wink:

The reason for questioning is that i'm not the only one who want this to work like this, and they may have some clues for to solve this!

Badge

I’m also interested in this since I want to put my media and iot devices in a separate VLAN and only show connections from my LAN to the IoT VLAN so I can control the devices but don’t want the devices to connect to my LAN network (from a security perspective).

It seems the app only checks on the connected WiFi network for Sonos devices but I rather have that it checks for connected Sonos cloud devices or it broadcasts for Sonos devices (so it will find it in the other VLAN, mDNS is enabled).

Please allow this or enable this feature.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks, we appreciate your feedback and welcome to the Sonos community, @jen.m

As per Sonos system requirements, the Sonos app and all Sonos products must exist on the same network subnet. If you need help with the configuration, I recommend reaching out to your internet service provider or local networking professionals for assistance.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge

Hi Rowena, thanks for your reply.

We have read the requirements and know that the Sonos devices only work on the same physical WiFi network but we would like to submit a feature request that allows us to control the Sonos devices via either cloud or via VLAN network connectivity (since there are no technical obstructions to allow it to work).

For example a google chromecast works fine using this separate VLAN setup (which is also found via broadcasting).

Please add this feature request to your products roadmap or forward or request to the technical department/developers.

Thanks in advance.

Michiel 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jen.m, thank you for your response and for sharing this with us.

I’ll be submitting your feature request to our engineers to control the Sonos devices via either cloud or via VLAN network connectivity. We don't have the information yet to share with you and the timeline but you can check our announcements when this feature becomes available. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. 

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Not so much ‘when’, but ‘if this feature becomes available’. 

Badge

@Airgetlam  @B-MAdD Just a short note: my wife was playing music on the Sonos today which is in the seperate IoT VLAN network and I asked how she fixed it, she said: “I just use the Spotify app and it worked”.
Indeed it works without a glitch! So it is app/software related and not related to our networks.
If you want to play Spotify: just use the Spotify app et voila!