Sonos speaker with Zero trust in the system

• 23 August 2023
  • 1 reply

We have a system where we are trying out a Zero trust software. This software would basically install a new TAP Adapter in the machine and would have higher metric value to that of the primary adapter. The problem that is occuring is that Sonos Speaker software is only sending the DNS requesting to this adapter rather then broadcasting to other interfaces. This is causing the Youtube, Spotify and other applications to not load applications.

We tried to make the DNS request to be broadcasted to other interfaces by adding a registry entry in windows https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/dns-client-resolution-timeouts. But even though the physical interface is sending the DNS response the Sonos speaker software is not honoring the response.

Is Sonos speaker is only listening to the Network interface with higher metric?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

DNS is likely the least of your problems. SSDP and mDNS likely also won’t work on a “zero trust” network, and one of them is necessary to find your devices (and for them to find each other).

You could try my Windows app instead (see profile) which I know for a fact tries as many network adapters as it can, but I am still doubtful it would work on a totally locked-down network.