Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Port easy question

• 15 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello.  I’m a new Sonos user.  I replaced my main TV system with an ARC, Sub, a couple Ikea Symfonisks for rear surrounds and a pair of Roams for the deck.  Loving it.

I have a refurbished Port on the way so I can have synced music in our finished basement.  I have an Emotive UMC-200 processor with an Emotiva 9 channel amp.  I have 9 Definitive Tech speakers that are wall and ceiling mounted.  I also have a large powered sub.

If I connect the Port to the processor via the coax digital out am I correct that it will it will be no different than connecting a CD player?  So all my speakers and sub will play just like a CD player?  (the UMC-200 has an all channel mode that will play all speakers and sub with two channel audio).

When I want to listen to Dolby 7.1 I plan to use the optical out on my TCL 6 series to the UMC-200 processor just like I do now.

I also have a friend that is buying Sonos equipment and also wants to use a Port to do the same so I want to make sure this will work before he lays out the $$$

Thanks for any advice.

When you connect a Port it will play like any other connected device, be it a CD player or (pre-amped) turntable.

Is the TV you want to connect via optical also the TV you’re using with the Arc? Because I’m not sure optical will play when there’s also a soundbar connected via HDMI.

On one of your other points… does optical support 7.1?  I thought not, but could be mistaken.

When you connect a Port it will play like any other connected device, be it a CD player or (pre-amped) turntable.

Is the TV you want to connect via optical also the TV you’re using with the Arc? Because I’m not sure optical will play when there’s also a soundbar connected via HDMI.

Thanks.  The ARC is on our main floor TV.  The TV where the Port will be located does not have an ARC or Soundbar.

On one of your other points… does optical support 7.1?  I thought not, but could be mistaken.

Good point.  I’m wondering if my TCL 65” 6 series TV supports 7.1 out through the E-ARC HDMI port. If not I can live with 5.1.

If you can connect from eARC to the Arc you should do so.  Are you currently using optical and the converter?