Sonos, Plex and Pi

• 12 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have had my music stored on an Addonics NAS for the last 8 years and it works with sonos fine, simply acting as an NAS.  I now see it is no longer supported and my mac has stopped accessing it. It is the same size as a raspberry pi with a usb drive plugged in.  Marvellous bit of kit really.

Whst should i replace it with?  Should I go for another NAS or a streaming solution like plex?  What is the difference?  Apart from the obvious.  The NAS should be small and quiet and still supported.  

I have a raspberry Pi v3.  I am guessing I could probably just install a linux on it, mount the drive and share it.  Is there any advantage to having plex on top?  Any alternatives?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I would say that Plex is a good idea if you want access to local content outside of your network outside as well as inside.  It also does a good job of organizing all of our media (movies, pictures) etc  and has a pretty good user interface.  You do have to pay a subscription fee (or pay for lifetime subscription) though if you want to outside your network.  And I could be off on this, but I believe Sonos access is technically considered to be outside the network (it operates via cloud).  But if all you want is a file share like you had previously, then skip Plex.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A Pi NAS is easy, I use one here.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/650.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Still experimenting but the bog standard raspberry pi install plus something called “webadmin” gives you a nice interface for configuring file shares.  Trying to avoid command lines as much as possible.