Sonos On Separate SSID?

• 28 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Since there is no way to password the Sonos app, what is the preferred way to isolate Sonos in a restaurant setting? Can I set Sonos on its own SSID? One certainly does not want a customer putting on Whitesnake when the BGM is classical....

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos should be on your private local LAN, customers should be under a 'Guest' LAN allowing internet access only. This protects everything on your local LAN (including Sonos). Most modern routers have this 'Guest' network capability built in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Making sure it's an actual separate Guest network for your customers is important! Some routers allow creating additional WiFi names, but they're still part of the same network. This needs to be a separate network with different IP addresses and no ability to connect to your private LAN from this separate network. It should be specifically described in the router as a Guest network.

You certainly don't want your customers to be able to access your other computers and devices on your network... if they did, accessing your Sonos system could be the least of your worries!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I set up a new restaurant last month on their Wireless as "247" - their unit number. Then for the public (guest) side I set that up as "restaurant-public". I don't like to see a restaurants SSID visible, yet they don't allow access, so this I find a bit friendlier approach 🙂
If the main router doesn't offer a Guest SSID, simply attach a second router and put the Sonos on that subnet. The LAN side of the second router will be kept private from the unwashed masses -- sorry, customers.

On a detailed point, the subnet prefix of the secondary LAN must be different from the main LAN. For example 192.168.2.x and 192.168.1.x respectively.