Sonos not work on shared / public internet. We know it doesn't...but here's why. (SOLUTIONS IN DESCRIPTION)

• 17 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge
Sonos not work on shared / public internet. We know it doesn't...but here's why.
Client Isolation. Most often Wireless Isolation, sometimes called Client or AP Isolation, is a setting on a wireless router. When this setting is enabled it prevents a device that is connected to the network by a wireless connection from accessing resources that are connected to the network by a wired connection.

This means your neighbor can't see your Sonos either. Client Isolation is the only way you have any sort of security on a network you do not control. But what about you?

In order for Sonos to work for you, you must create your own network. Currently other than Sonos Bridge, there isn't a Sonos-branded solution for this. If you cannot access your internet's router - Bridge is useless anyway. However, I've tested (with numerous Sonos hardware configurations and networks) two different pieces of hardware available on Amazon. One is the TL-WR802N, and TL-WR902AC, both manufactured by TP-Link. The first model only offers 2.4ghz wireless transmission (All Sonos uses) and the other model offers dual-band (2.4ghz and 5ghz) for fast connections to hardware supporting it. Both of these will create a private, internal network for you to reach your Sonos, and any other network device. As mentioned, I have setup numerous Sonos systems with these little things. They work great.

If this has already been discussed, please let me know and I will remove it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A travel router, like the ones you mention, can certainly be helpful. Their ability to connect to an existing WiFi network, then create a new WiFi network that you can join your phone and Sonos to, makes them very helpful in cases where you don't control the network. This is an often recommended solution for people who travel and use hotel WiFi, or people at schools/universities (which might work sometimes, depending on the school's network setup).

However a note... a Bridge is not the only Sonos device that can be used to create the separate "SonosNet" wireless network. Wiring ANY Sonos device - Bridge, Boost, or even a speaker - to the network allows this network to be created.
Badge
Thank you for that correction! You are definitely right about the Sonos devices being able to create their own network. I feel this is very helpful if you have access to the gateway/router itself. More often than not, especially in high density residential areas with new construction - the building will offer shared access. They usually are deployed in the form of cloud-managed mesh networks. You will unfortunately never access the router. I feel more and more Sonos buyers are hitting this wall; lots of returns and negative reviews on Amazon from people who simply don't have the patience or skill to set it up. I do hope Sonos offers either on-board hardware that solves this issue, or a hotspot router of their own. The use of a phone is great for setup, but highly impractical for those with data plans that are not unlimited. Shared internet is becoming less of a hotel/school entity, and sometimes is the only choice for a Sonos buyer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
More often than not, especially in high density residential areas with new construction - the building will offer shared access. They usually are deployed in the form of cloud-managed mesh networks. You will unfortunately never access the router.
I think this very much depends on where you live. Here in the US, it's VERY rare that any internet access - wireless or otherwise - would be included with an apartment rental, and definitely not a condo purchase.
Badge
Thank you again for your reply! I've lived on both coasts of the US, and as I mentioned this is becoming more and more common. Currently I'm on the West Coast. Even if you purchase a townhome or condo, which I happen to have done. It's simple...managed networks are going to increase as population density increases. Over this time Sonos is reaching more and more consumers in this situation.