Sonos Issues with Verizon Fios CR1000A

• 28 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Just to spread the knowledge:

I moved apartments and Verizon upgraded my FIOS router from the G3100. I immediately began experiencing issues with music streaming, connecting to speakers, changing the volume etc. Basically nothing worked, or in the sparing moments it did it lagged immensely. I searched around and applied some fixes to no avail, then spoke with Sonos Support for an hour experimenting many of the same approaches with no success. I finally stumbled across a router setting that solved everything, although I suspect it was a combination of the settings changes I made that solved things. Overall here’s what I tried:

• Connecting one speaker to the router via ethernet to start a Wired Connection
  • Setting the Sonos Network to Channel 11 in System > Network
  • In the My Fios App, going to Advanced Settings and turning of SON (Self-Organizing Network)
  • Explicitly Naming the 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSIDs
  • (What finally solved it) Disabling DFS Channels

I suspect one or  more of these steps may not be necessary to fix things, however the DFS disable is what finally got my system working and I don’t dare to touch it again, don’t fix what isn’t broke.

Hope this helps any others experiencing similar issues.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you dig around the Internet, it is not very kind to this Gateway.

Badge

Verizon sent me a CR1000A router and E3200 extender and I immediately began having issues streaming from Amazon. All other services worked fine but anything streaming in HD, UHD or Atmos had issues.

We kept getting errors saying that song x could not be played because it was not encoded correctly, or the sound would stop in mid song. I tried the options you mentioned but had no luck. Diagnostics sent to Sonos support indicated that there was wireless interference. PC’s, laptops and TVs had no issues. One of my sons did complain about the slow speeds with his xbox so I put it on the IOT network at 2.4 Ghz and it was better. I put the Sonos speakers on IOT, connected the ARC with ethernet, connected the ARC and surrounds on ethernet and took my remaining speakers off the network but still had issues. I even ran a new Cat 6 cable from the Verizon ONT to my router and it still did not work. I even tried a trial account on Apple music and would get errors saying it could not connect to Apple.

Finally, I put my old Fios-G1100 router and the extender back on the network and everything works perfectly on the wireless network. At least I own the old equipment and the CR1000A and the extender are $0.00 rentals.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with Sonos and Verizon Fios CR1000A. To better assist you, could you please provide more details about the specific problems you're encountering? That way, I can offer more targeted help and guidance.