Answered

Sonos for two different houses

• 17 December 2023
  • 10 replies

Please can someone explain what I doing wrong.  I bought a sonos amp and set it up in my UK setup then took it to our house abroad.  It asked to update to the new wifi network which it did but then it insisted on updating all the UK ones to the spain wifi.  I have read various guides and forum posts but none seem to do anything.  Surely this shold be as easy as clicking a button saying “add new home” or something.

Anyway now back in the UK I had to setup the UK ones with the UK wifi and now it wants to move the amp on to that wifi.

How the heck do I setup a second home????

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 December 2023, 18:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have Sonos systems in two countries, but I only move my Roam between them (which is pretty painless now). Each country has an S1 and an S2 system. The S2 app has got smarter about this nowadays (the S1 requires a “forget this system” when I relocate).

You seem to be moving an entire Household (or substantial subset) between locations. If you hardwire one of them in the new location, then update the wifi creds for that, then powering up the others should be painless. (I am assuming you are using SonosNet).

Please can someone explain what I doing wrong.  I bought a sonos amp and set it up in my UK setup then took it to our house abroad.  It asked to update to the new wifi network which it did but then it insisted on updating all the UK ones to the spain wifi.  I have read various guides and forum posts but none seem to do anything.  Surely this shold be as easy as clicking a button saying “add new home” or something.

Anyway now back in the UK I had to setup the UK ones with the UK wifi and now it wants to move the amp on to that wifi.

How the heck do I setup a second home????

Just add the two WiFi networks to the one Sonos System/Household then any device (and the same controller) can be used at either location. Switch things by simply having the local network in range and connecting the mobile device to the network.

See attached screenshot of an ‘example’ Sonos system with multiple WiFi networks that allows the system to be used at multiple locations.

Thanks Ken.  Do I just add another network in the settings part of the app.  

I have Sonos systems in two countries, but I only move my Roam between them (which is pretty painless now). Each country has an S1 and an S2 system. The S2 app has got smarter about this nowadays (the S1 requires a “forget this system” when I relocate).

You seem to be moving an entire Household (or substantial subset) between locations. If you hardwire one of them in the new location, then update the wifi creds for that, then powering up the others should be painless. (I am assuming you are using SonosNet).

I was only moving the amp which I previously setup in my UK house to test and then took to Spain.  It then tries to update all of the devices from the UK (Two fives and a sub) to the spain network even though they are back in the UK.

I think maybe Kens explanation might make sense.  I add another wifi network and then they will work in either?

What I would have done is add the Amp to the main  Home-A system to begin with and then added the Home-B WiFi network to that entire system using Update Networks” .. an easy way to do that is as follows:

Setup a mobile Hotspot which broadcasts the same SSID/Password credentials as Home-B and add that to the Home-A setup … when complete take any device from Home-A to Home-B and all things now there will work at that Home too.

Just revert back the mobile Hotspot when the network has been added.

HTH

I will do that.  Thanks.  Do you add them in the section I showed in my picture

I will do that.  Thanks.  Do you add them in the section I showed in my picture

Yes setup the hotspot and then goto “Update Networks” to add the nearby Broadcasting SSID to your devices. Just follow the onscreen instructions to add the other network.

Great thank you for the help

Badge

Sonos, your instructions ability is truly awful.

Sonos, your instructions ability is truly awful.

10 years between posts and this is what you come up with?  😯