Question

Sonos Broadcast Relay

• 19 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
So I have a bit of an odd issue. (This may not be the correct forum, but I thought I'd try.) As some background, I have a rather advanced home / home lab setup. I have a Fortigate router that supports a wired network and a wireless AP hanging off a separate subnet. The wireless subnet has a DHCP relay operating that forwards DHCP broadcast requests to a Windows server. Sonos ZPs are operating off the wired network. Any devices hanging off the wireless are currently unable to utilize the Sonos app to control the ZPs. If I enable a rule allowing a broadcast on 255.255.255.255 between the subnets then the Sonos app will function. However, iOS devices will be unable to obtain an IP from the DHCP server. I am assuming there's a conflict happening with the relay but am uncertain. Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos does expect all components to be on the same subnet, so I would expect that this is the problem rather than the Relay itself.
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/multiple-subnets-vlans-and-sonos-workable-clavister-solution-30950
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
The discovery over broadcast address is new, so just finding a solution to forward or proxy the multicast might help fix the dhcp issue.

Another approach would be if you could limit which broadcast traffic that you allow between subnets to only include UDP 1900, it might not interfere with the dhcp traffic.