Sonos Beam Connection via Proster 5x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor

• 7 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I’ve connected my Beam to my Samsung UN55FH6003G using Proster 5x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor.  I was able to hear the sound from the Beam when using both Chromecast and Fire Stick as HDMI inputs with output back to the TV and the optical link to the Beam.  Yesterday, the sound stopped and I had to use the TV’s speakers to hear the programming.  I checked all connections as well as the devices by plugging them into different ports both on the switch and the TV.  When in the TV and sound from the TV, no problem.  When in switch, video to TV, but no sound from Beam.  Retesting today, when casting I saw a message that said something about surround sound and to use my TV controller to adjust sound.  That doesn’t work with the setup I’ve got, as it only controls the volume of the TV speakers.  I’m a bit lost and would appreciate thoughts on the topic. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Sound of Silence.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share with you some information and feedback from our engineering team.

Here at Sonos, We do not recommend connecting any Sonos Home theater speakers to a third party receiver/hubs/switch. We always recommend connecting our Sonos Home theater speakers directly to the TV via the cable that came with the package. However, since it has previously worked, I would like to recommend contacting the manufacturer of the switch to check if their product is compatible with any third-party hardware that requires HDMI ARC connection or we can always reach out to other members of the community as they may have the same setup as you which may have recommendations and feedback on what would work.

Let us try to reach out to other members of the community and check their recommendations and feedback. Everybody in the community learns through experience and feedback.

Thanks,

Thank you for your response.  Given the TV, I had no choice but to try the switch.  And as it worked initially, I’m inclined to think that isn’t the problem.  I was intending to contact the switch manufacturer, but thought I’d reach out to the Sonos community first. As you have offered to do so to others within the community on my behalf, I’ll wait to hear back before taking other steps.