Question

Sonos at a caravan park

• 3 May 2017
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to Sonos, I have a Play1 and Play5. I'm going for a long weekend away to a caravan park, where there is no internet. I was looking at taking my Play1, and have read that people on here have set up their systems using a router that has been set up at home, and taking that with them to create a wifi hotspot. I'm not very good with routers or connections or much tech talk. so my questions are.....
1. if I set up a new router and take it along with my Sonos, can I control it from my phone?
2. if I can control it from my phone, can I play either my offline Spotify songs/playlists or play them online?
3. am I just wasting my time and should I just take my Play5 with an Aux cable?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi kegwin,

Welcome to the community.

You could take a router and your PLAY:1 but will need an internet connection for Sonos to utilize the Spotify Connect feature for playback, even with offline songs it requires communication through a cloud server to maintain playback.

To make things easier, so you don't have to take as many devices along with you the PLAY:5 with Line-In from an aux cable would be more ideal. Follow the steps in our Using Line-In on Sonos FAQ to set up the Autoplay feature for your PLAY:5 and you'll be able to use your offline playlists and if your phone has a good mobile data signal in your travel location you can even stream music to Line-In similar to listening through headphones. Let us know if you have any questions.