Answered

Sonos Amp to 3 pairs of Architecural In-Ceiling Speakers with a Speaker Selector Inpedence Match device

• 20 April 2020
  • 6 replies

I’m keen to set up this situation:

Sonos Amp 1 to Sonos Outdoor Pair A and Sonos Pair B

Sonos Amp 2 to Sonos Architectural In-Ceiling Speakers 3 in Room A and 3 in Room B

In order to switch Outdoor Pair A/B and In-Ceiling Room Room A/B I was hoping to hook the Sonos Amps to this McClelland 6 way Speaker Selector:

https://www.radioparts.com.au/product/39894210/ss26v-6-way-premium-speaker-selector-volume-control-150w-totalrms#.Xp1zaOQmLDs

Is this doable? 

icon

Best answer by krisprad 13 May 2020, 07:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

@krisprad Great question for the Sonos Community. I do not have any experience with the McClelland selector that you share in your link. Let’s see what Community members have any experience with this product or similar selectors with their Sonos products. What are you trying to achieve with the selector that you cannot get from grouping your Sonos products together in the app?

Hi John, thanks for your reply. I have purchased the McClelland selector and am awaiting my electrician to install it. I am going to connect x2 Sonos Amps to its inputs. Amp A will allow me to select 2 pairs of Polk Atrium 6 outside speakers in 2 different areas of the property independently and alter their volume on the same Sonos Amp. If I didn’t have the selector I would have to listen to both areas at the same time at the same volume. Im also connecting 6 in-ceiling Sonos speakers to the selector and powering these by a second Sonos Amp B. This allows me to create 3 zones which can be switched independently on or off (plus volume control) and power it via one Sonos Amp. If I want them all on at the same time I leave them switched on and can use it all as single zone via the Sonos App. Hope it works!! If not Ill just bypass the Selector for the Sonos in-ceiling speakers and run them directly from Amp B. I will still have the issue of the outside speakers and will be forced to buy another Sonos Amp to power the pairs independently. Then I’ll have a useless Selector which I can use as paper weight! See below:

@krisprad Than you for the follow up and photo. If you are just wiring speakers to our Amp you should be able to volume control them from a group playing in the Sonos app or as individual room names, but if you are connecting in a 3rd party amplifier or speakers to this selector I am not sure if you will run into any audio delays. Follow up here with how it performs for you and we will see if other members have any advice or experience with this product.

The setup works fantastic!!

the only problem is Sonos won’t recognise the architectural in-ceiling speakers as they are connected via the speaker switcher not directly into the Sonos amp. I could circumvent this by connecting then directly to the amp. Doing true sound tuning then connecting back to switcher but the sound is that good I won’t even bother 

very happy with this set up!

@krisprad Thank you for the follow up and photo. Great to hear that you are enjoying your setup. Feel free to reach out to us here in the future with any questions or troubleshooting needs.

Hi Krispad, I’ve found your post very interesting! I am considering doing the same but on a smaller scale. I’m looking at installing two sets of sonos in ceiling speakers (outside and kitchen). I will connect them to a similar selector and connect them to the amp. Just wondering if this is how it works? I struggle to understand how the amp still connects to the selector? Is my drawing correct or do I connect them to the right and left connections? Further to this, can I use different brand speakers and still use this setup/app? Thanks!