sonos amp LFE

• 1 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

i use sonos amp with a 3rd party subwoofer, but don’t use LFE out on the amp and instead use the high pass filter on the subwoofer back to the sonos amp. i’m looking to add a second subwoofer to that setup, so my question is can i keep the high pass filter in place and use LFE from the sonos amp to the second subwoofer or does using LFE disable the low frequencies from the left and right speaker channels? 

asked a different way, is the only way to get 2 subwoofers on a sonos amp to split the LFE connection with a Y cable or using the different crossovers I describe above?

2 replies

If I remember correctly, I’m sure the simple matter of just connecting a cable to the Amp’s .LFE port causes it to adjust the crossover frequency - so if you have a cable to hand you can perhaps test your setup to see the effect it will have on your existing Sub, which I think will prove to be detrimental.

You can also adjust the crossover frequency too (I think) in the Amp’s room settings to see if that may assist you - sorry I don’t have the Amp to test here, but I understand that to be the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d go with the Y cable and manually set the crossover frequency to match your speakers.

Aside from the good points already made you might end up with the two subs in closer phase by starting from the same signal.