Question

Setup Sonos with Corp WIFI

• 5 January 2017
  • 2 replies

Hello, I am the beginner of Sonos, our company bought Sonos Play:5 and Sonos Connect.
Our Sonos equipment are not able to setup and connect with our below WIFI networks (total 9 APs within office).
1. Guest WIFI with landing page
2. Staff WIFI with security type 802.1x

Would you please advise what should I do?

Thanks,
Davidson

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos unfortunately does not work with WiFi networks that use 802.1x authentication (i.e. username and password) or with web-based captive portal type systems (that require entering information into a web page form).

Some WiFi systems that use web-based forms for access also allow you to add specific MAC addresses to skip the web page. If your system allows this, then you can add the MAC address for the Sonos device(s) and they would be automatically given internet access. Of course, they would also be able to be controlled by anyone connected to that Guest network.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
My suggestion is wiring the Sonos components (1 or several), either onto it's own VLAN or to the Guest VLAN (this would be easier, since it would just work for devices connected to the guest WiFi). Maybe you would consider the staff VLAN as well, depending on your isolation policy and requirements.

If a separate VLAN, you would need adequate network configuration to allow the controllers to speak with the players, which isn't very trivial to do, but possible usually.

Here is a guideline for a Clavister firewall setup:
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/multiple-subnets-vlans-and-sonos-workable-clavister-solution-30950

I wouldn't be that concerned about the Sonos players being on your network, but the Sonos players might need very broad access out onto the internet which might not be desirable in a corporate environment.