Setting up Sonos One in at UT Austin

• 13 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Problems setting up Sonos on MyCampusnet wireless or wired network

Does anyone have any insight on how to successfully setup Sonos inside a MyCampusnet network? I have wasted a ton of time trying to setup the Mac addresses and following their rules to no avail and opted for Dr Google solutions by setting up a travel router. The router seems to work with everything (mobile, Roku, laptops) but i can't make any progress with Sonos. The closes I get is the controller can see the Mac Address for the Sonos one but the setup fails.

What am i missing? It's hard to believe there isn't more out there on this subject. MyCampusNet responds by saying they do not support Sonos.

Any help would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Does anyone from Sonos read these posts? I don't know the email address used to register the system so I can't use your not so user friendly contact us.
Yes, the attempt to read and respond to everything.

For your issue, the travel router is the right way to go, but you shouldn't have to do anything with mac addresses I wouldn't think. Are you wiring the Sonos One to the travel router or trying to do it wirelessly? You'll need to set it up wired, and then can disconnect it, but I would leave it connected if possible.

I haven't actually used a travel router myself, but many on here have done so successfully. It may be that it just isn't possible with the campus internet.

BTW...Class of 95'. Hook'em.
Thx for your response - I've tried wireless and wired to no avail. It's hard to believe that Sonos with the type of consumer demo that is out there can't step in and offer some advice. Also, it's in MyCampusNet's interest to offer some solution because there are so many DIY solutions via routers that will mess up their network. It's possible, I have done something wrong but don't think so because all other devices seem to work via the router (phones, laptop and roku.)

Still looking for someone who has dealt with this issue or the best way to troubleshoot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@jsc936, assuming the travel router is sending out 2.4 GHz, the Sonos One should be able to connect to it. To start with, it'd probably be best to factory reset that Sonos One and start from the beginning.

With the Sonos One reset, go ahead and connect your phone to the wireless network for the travel router, and then connect to the Sonos One through the app. Depending on how the network there is configured, it may be best to start with having the travel router disconnected from the network, and get the two linked without the main network involved. The travel router's wireless should be all you need, though you'll be offline at the time and can't update/register. After things are linked, you can then get online with the travel router and try to do the next steps.
Hi Ryan - Thanks

On 2.4 Ghz

I'll try that approach again. When I opted for offline, I couldn't get passed the update and register. I was using a laptop versus phone? Does it matter?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
No, it shouldn't matter which one you use, but depending on the software version running on the player, you may not be able to go too far before updating (if it's too far from the app build the update is mandatory).