Answered

Second Home and WiFi SSID Name

• 1 November 2023
  • 8 replies

If there is a Sonos FAQ on this I wasn’t able to find it…

I’m going to be setting up Sonos gear in a second home. I’ve seen a number of responses on how to setup Sonos gear in a second location and I’m not sure which route to take.

It sounds like I can just use a single Sonos login/account and just add a “second system” or add “new Household” (unsure if those are different terms)

Questions:

1. Can / Should I create a WiFi network that has the exact same SSID WiFi Name and Password in the second home or will that confuse the app?
  2. When I begin to set up the Sonos gear in the second home do I...
    1. just start adding the gear piece by piece?
    2. Would it just “gray out” gear that is not physically present and in a different geographic location?
    3. or create a “new household”?  (I don’t see this option in the app currently)
    4. Or is there a way to “Add a new system” to group the gear together. (I don’t see this option in the app currently)

Ideally I would be able to flip back and forth (location to location or “system” to “system”) and not see gear that isn’t in the location I’m in currently.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 1 November 2023, 20:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

If you are not trying to bring playlists that are stored on the actual system (Sonos product) in location A to location B; then just setup a separate system at location B. I’d use a different SSID as most devices remember the WiFi network at different locations after the first login. So upon entering location B (a second time) the WiFi on your device would automatically connect. Also, Sonos would recognize location B as a system separate from location A and vise-vera.

Hi

If you are not trying to bring playlists that are stored on the actual system (Sonos product) in location A to location B; then just setup a separate system at location B. I’d use a different SSID as most devices remember the WiFi network at different locations after the first login. So upon entering location B (a second time) the WiFi on your device would automatically connect. Also, Sonos would recognize location B as a system separate from location A and vise-vera.

Correct - I’m not worried about locally-stored data like playlists transferring.

How do you “Set up a new system”? I don’t see that option available in the Sonos app settings. I’m not currently at “Location B” so would that option appear if I’m connected to that WiFi network?

Userlevel 7

Hi

1. Make sure all the Sonos equipment at location B are factory reset and powered on
  2. Connect your device to the network at location B (Suggest a different SSID)
  3. Open the Sonos app
  4. You will prompted to Join Existing System or Setup/Create New
  5. Select Setup/Create New
  6. Follow the prompts

Thanks @AjTrek1 - this makes sense ans seems simple enough. I will be sure to change the SSID as well.

Good morning.

I am in this situation.

Location A: have an existing system with Beam, Play:1, Sub Mini ... and Internet box. Works great ! For clarity, let’s say location A, system A and network A.

Location B: factory reset Playbase and different Internet box (different name : is it what you mean by different SSID ?). When I use the App, ”system” menu in ”settings” is not available (because existing system cannot be found ?). Try to follow instructions from the App (’your system cannot be found”), but it will only guide me for finding my existing system in a different network ... How can I create a system B in location B, with network B and a factory reset Sonos device, still keeping system A with network A in location A active ?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated !

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good morning.

I am in this situation.

Location A: have an existing system with Beam, Play:1, Sub Mini ... and Internet box. Works great ! For clarity, let’s say location A, system A and network A.

Location B: factory reset Playbase and different Internet box (different name : is it what you mean by different SSID ?). When I use the App, ”system” menu in ”settings” is not available (because existing system cannot be found ?). Try to follow instructions from the App (’your system cannot be found”), but it will only guide me for finding my existing system in a different network ... How can I create a system B in location B, with network B and a factory reset Sonos device, still keeping system A with network A in location A active ?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated !

In the app do “forget current system”. Or uninstall the app (with its data) and reinstall it.

Then “create new system” in Location B.

Location A will not be affected by anything you do in B.

Ok ... in fact, I have another problem …

Despite several attempts, the Playbase will never connect, even with a wired connection. At best, I am guided until the Playbase is supposed to emit a carillon and then, nothing happens, I am guided through another attempt with the wifi, then another with a wired connection, until the process aborts.

I had the same issue in my main home, after three years of use. Neither the seller nor Sonos phone support could find a solution, despite a reset of the product. I thought maybe putting it in a different environment would help ... I was wrong.

Bitter feeling to have paid so much money for this result. I could not identify any (official) repair solution in Orléans, France, so I am afraid it will end in a recycling center … and a very frustrated sonos fan.

Thanks for the help anyway

Ok ... in fact, I have another problem …

Despite several attempts, the Playbase will never connect, even with a wired connection. At best, I am guided until the Playbase is supposed to emit a carillon and then, nothing happens, I am guided through another attempt with the wifi, then another with a wired connection, until the process aborts.

I had the same issue in my main home, after three years of use. Neither the seller nor Sonos phone support could find a solution, despite a reset of the product. I thought maybe putting it in a different environment would help ... I was wrong.

Bitter feeling to have paid so much money for this result. I could not identify any (official) repair solution in Orléans, France, so I am afraid it will end in a recycling center … and a very frustrated sonos fan.

Thanks for the help anyway

I would call Sonos again about this. My thought are that because the Playbase has not been used for a long time, that it’s firmware is too far out of date to get the newer version. Sonos support maybe able to help with that… here is the link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact