Answered

Running S2 app on laptop behind firewall?

• 2 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have heard that the Sonos apps only connect to a Sonos that is on the same subnet as the host running the app, and I am wondering if the same restriction applies to S2.  My Sonos CONNECT is on a local 10.0.0.x subnet.  I have no problem connecting to the CONNECT from a mobile S2 on a tablet or phone that is on 10.0.0.x.

But I have a firewall/router attached to that subnet (as its WAN) for local hosts on 192.168.1.x (the firewwall’s LAN).  Everything on the 192.168.1.x subnet sees everything on the 10.0.0.x subnet, and the firewall (temporarily) allows ALL TCP and UDP traffic on all ports that originate anywhere on the 10.0.0.x subnet to enter the 192.168.1.x subnet.  Running the S2 app on my Windows machine at 192.168.1.35 cannot see the Sonos CONNECT, which makes me think it is using a restrictive probe that ignores any responses not coming from what it thinks is the local network, so when it gets a response from 10.0.0.18 (the Sonos CONNECT) but it is running on 192.168.1.35, then it trashes the response and claims it can’t find anything.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?  Can anyone suggest a workaround or tell me what protocol the S2 is using to discover a Sonos device?  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by ratty 2 January 2021, 23:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos uses SSDP, hence controllers and players need to be on the same subnet. Local subnet broadcasts won’t traverse the router, in either direction.

Got it!  Thanks, Ratty.

The simplest solution is to dual-home the host running the App onto the same subnet as the Sonos CONNECT, in which case the app finds the device with no problem.  Too bad that, once discovered, the app doesn’t save the IP address and use that to connect the next time instead of falling back into discovery mode.

A controller will cache network information for a short while but, just as a reminder, the D in DHCP stands for 'Dynamic'...