Router refusing Sonos connection

• 26 August 2023
  • 11 replies

I have a USB HDD connected to my Archer VR1600 router, which is shared and accessible on my Mac:

//ipaddr/volume(sda1)/..

When I attempt to add that path to my Sonos library config and supply the share credentials, it whines that ‘the computer (ie my router) refused to let Sonos connect to it’.

[update:] I’m using the S1 version of Sonos software as the device is a Connect/ZonePlayer.

---

Background: our LaCie NAS is about to die, and it makes sense to move the the data from it to a Google cloud account.

I want to keep a local cache of our audio files for streaming through the Sonos Connect.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Why don’t you store all of your music files on your Mac?

Because they would chew too much space … and they need to be accessible to other users.

Userlevel 7

Follow the steps in this article:

https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/1004/

Thanks. Have seen that and the share is set up accordingly.

I suppose another option is to stream the files directly from google drive … but not sure that’s supported.

Anyway the behaviour has changed a little now. I went back to using the router admin creds, 

//ipaddr/volume(sda1)/ is now saying ‘access to shared folder is denied, check username/password’, which I know is good, as the same smb share is mounted with those same creds.

Remove the brackets from the share name. Sonos can be fussy. 

And confirm the router offers SMBv1, as that's all S1 can use. 

SMBv1 is all the router can use as well, from the info online. Removing the brackets didn’t help. Beginning to think this is just not going to happen. I can mount the share using the router admin creds, but not with creds I created specifically for the share (I don’t really want to use the admin creds).

If I get it working now, there’s nothing to say it won’t stop working in the future, due to software/firmware updates, or the next router not having the requisite port, or supporting the correct version of Samba.

What are my oprions? One of those single disk home cloud boxes? Will they work with S1 iteration?

It’s possible to stream HD video from the internet perfectly adequately, therefore lossless audio wouldn’t be a problem … but the Sonos app isn’t go to do that, is it?

I suppose one of the WD MyCloud NAS boxes would do. More disk than I want. If anyone knows of a cheaper/smaller solution, please let me know.

https://www.westerndigital.com/en-au/products/cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud-home#WDBVXC0020HWT-SESN

I was hoping to get away from spinning rust at some point in my life. The universe has other plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A bit dated (I haven’t kept them current) but either of these options should work. If you have a NAS already the Gateway is cheap and easy on a Pi Zero.

Live Journal: Stan

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

Thanks Stanley. Appreciate the advice. Think I’ll leave it here for the moment. Once again, my thanks to all those have responded.

cheers

Kat