Question

Replacing a pair of speakers wired to a Sony Av Receiver with a pair of Play5s using Line-in

• 23 September 2017
  • 5 replies

I have for some years taken the signal from a Connect and fed it through a Sony STR-DN1050 AV Receiver to my home theatre 7.1 speaker setup. I am considering replacing the front left and front right speakers with a pair of Play5s using Line-in from the AV receiver for TV/Bluray sound. The Connect would be removed and the Sonos speakers provide a stereo pair in the normal way for my music library and streaming services. Does this make sense?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

A question.... so you don't use the multichannel surround sound for TV/BR currently? Or don't mind sacrificing it?
Thanks for your interest.
I do use the 7.1 surround sound and would wish to continue to do so, that is what prompted me to think that I might be able to use LineIn to Sonos and improve sound quality in the main L&R speakers. Switching away from LineIn when I wished to use Sonos for stereo music.
There is no way in which the Play:5s could act as true FR and FL. The sound wouldn't sync. Honestly, forget it.

Keeping the existing system for TV/BR and having a pair of P:5s for music would be much more reasonable if there is space.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Your other problem besides bad sync is how to get a signal out of the AV receiver to feed the Sonos speakers.

The STR-DN1050 doesn't have pre-outs (phono sockets for each of the speaker channels before the signal goes off to the power amps inside the receiver). The red & white phono sockets are inputs, not outputs. The Zone 2 connections are outputs, but not for the front L&R channels of the 5.1/7.1 set-up. The volume to those sockets won't alter when you change the main zone volume, and they're outside of surround decoder so won't be getting the discrete L&R channel signals.

You've already got a great solution with the Connect feeding a line input on the AV receiver. If the sound from the front L&R speakers isn't good then buy better conventional front L&R speakers. Don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Thanks all, I seem to have my answer. It doesn't make sense.